Springfield Armory Forums banner

Gun Rights Organizations, how to choose?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  wooze_1911 
#1 ·
Ok, so I am already a member of SAF, as well as Citizen's Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. I am also considering joining/donating to Calguns, and I want to join a bigger group as well. Most people are chanting NRA, but I've also seen NAGR around, and very active on social media. Are these two orginizations, essentially "competitors"? I have seen that NAGR tends to bash the NRA's efforts, which seems silly, since ultimately, they are supposed to be fighting for the same goal. So, which organization would you support and why?

Scott

#2 ·
I actually support both.I've been a member of the NRA since the 90s and a member of NAGR for a year. From what I've heard the NAGR doesn't think the NRA goes far enough in some cases and thinks they shouldn't compromise at all. But I've also not seen the NAGR actually help in some instances like actually suing someone and talking to the Government directly (in person),maybe I've missed it but I've seen the NRA talk to them numerous times.

#3 ·
This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I can't do both right now, but I would like to support one now, and one later, when I can. I am leaning toward NAGR, just because I see them doing a lot more with social media and the like, and I think that's very important when it comes to spreading the word.

#5 ·
This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I can't do both right now, but I would like to support one now, and one later, when I can. I am leaning toward NAGR, just because I see them doing a lot more with social media and the like, and I think that's very important when it comes to spreading the word.
I know what you mean seeing NAGR all over the place. The one thing I realized about the social media thing is it that it's really a lot of name calling and ego boosting. a pages reach only extends to the people that like the page. and how much good are they really doing talking about gun rights to a whole bunch of gun people. NRA is by far the biggest and best funded group and is in the best position to get stuff done. I do agree that they don't take a hard enough stance on some things. but they tend to come around eventually. they do represent their members. as long as you can put up with all the solicitation for insurance that my in box gets from them. I just extended my membership for 2 more years and they got me for another $20 for a military membership. it ended up to be a fairly expensive travel mug in the end. but I guess eventually we have to pony up and do something that truly might make a difference. and what that basically means is vote and spend money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.