Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ballistol to clean. Hoppes bore cleaner in the barrel after say, three to four thousand rounds. I use G96 gun oil for lubrication. Once in a while I will use a little G95 Synthetic RFG Grease. I use the grease very sparingly and will spread it with a Q-Tip along the channel in the slide to form a very thin film. The grease is excellent and does not seem to collect debris. But I use grease very infrequently and only for internal rage use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking to see what everyone is using on there 1911 for cleaning, lube and everything. Have always used rem oil on other guns but open to new ideas and possible better products.
With the rising cost of most everything we buy, I wonder why someone would change what has worked for them in some cases years. Me I tend to stick with what has worked for me. Rem oil and Hoppy's continue to keep their place on my gun bench. Not saying I would try something else, but only if I was no longer happy with its performance.

·
Registered
Hellcat w/RMRcc/XD-S Mod.2 OSP w/CT1500
45 Posts
I just use Hoppe's #9 for a solvent, and CLP and/or Rem Oil for an oil.

I also use EWG as a grease for the slide rails, something that you really don't have to do on most automatics, but is kind of important on a 1911.

·
321 Posts
I bought some Advance Weapons Technology Extreme Force and have used it for the past three years. No issues with it at all. I would also recommend just a standard Automatic Transmission Fluid. I always keep a bottle on hand. Works great as a lube and rust protectant on all the metal surfaces. If it will keep the gears in a tranny working under stress and heat, it will have no problems keeping your firearm operating smoothly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My favored is Ballistol and make my own Ed's Red (a quart of the four ingredients = 1 gal.) and it lasts for several years,
for cleaning.
I also use EEZOX Synthetic products and a minute of syn grease on slides, bolts, and arbors.

·
Registered
435 Posts
With the advent of copper jacketed or copper wash and the better non corrosive powders i find running a brass wire brush down the barrel once after use is all a pistol ever requires, if that. As for oiling parts once i remove the slide and run a rag over that i very lightly, oil the slide. What i find works well is twice a year i degrease the pistol and then lightly re-oil. I know people who neither clean their pistol after use and don't clean it for months. It appears to work for them. Glocks appear to never require any attention, and keep working.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts