Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another model and or brand

Votes: 2 100.0%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone, I am a navy veteran and by black Friday, I plan on getting my first AR 15. I will have a budget of a little over $200. The two that I narrowed it down to are the new Helllion and the Springfield Saint Edge Tactical. Interesting that the barrel is bigger no the Saint Edge that is 18" vs 16". The weight on the Hellion is 8 lb and the Saint Edge is 10. The Hellion uses .566 and the Saint Edge .223. A few questions if they are the same design, why does the .223, generally cost 20-30% less/ Do they put more weight on the .556 bullet or does it have more of a punch? I like that the Saint Edge comes with a scope and red dot technology but that si not a deal breaker. I am pretty handy and can always buy a scope for $300-500 and solve that issue.
Which one would you suggest and why?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
]

Very interesting So a 5.56 will shoot a .223 a .223 should not shoot a 4.45 but they are similar same with 308 vs 7.62 but you are saying it's opposite the .308 is stronger than the 7.62. Since I am a number, guy why is it some of them have the decimal point before the 10th like .223 or .308, where as others will have it after the whole number like 7.62 or 5.56?
What is interesting is on the price of the rifles, there is not that much difference between the two, I think they are less than $100 apart. However, I have noticed this why is it that the 5.56 bullets cost about 20-30% more is it because they are stronger?
Furthermore, I am being told that a rifle that can fire a 5.56, should be able to fire a .223.So that is what you mean by I have more options I believe, I could either fire with the 5.56 or the .223 but if i get a rifle that is only .223 compatible, then I am stuck with .223. Well the, that makes my decision easier, I am going with the Hellion. It seems like if you want a rifle that is half way decent and is 5.56 compatible, you are looking at a starting price tag of $2000.Well, like my CO would always like to say, "it costs to be the boss." I know those 5.56 bullets can get pricy. They are not as expensive as the 7.62 but they are more expensive than the .223.
Just an observation why is it that us gun owners never complain about the price of the expensive rifle, even if it costs $2000? We always complain about the cost of the ammo :) . To save on cost of ammo, do you recommend recycling bullets or could you even do that with a 5.56?
Furthermore, I am looking at a semi-automatic pistol, I see Springfield Armory came up with a Hellcat, did anyone have a chance to fire it and do you recommend one? If all goes according to my plans by black Friday, I should have the $2000 saved up. I'm just a starving grad student here at BYU, getting my masters in English lit. Hopefully I could teach and coach football.
I appreciate everyone's input.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts