Greetings All

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Joeguns, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Joeguns

Joeguns New Member

Hello all, I'm Joe from PA(Philly area). I'm new to guns and looking to purchase my first firearm soon and would appreciate any advice. I've shot 9mm and .38 revolver before at the local range and I do prefer the 9mm. Hope to hear from you and good to be here in the group.

2. havasu

havasu Administrator Supporter

Welcome to the forum Joe!

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

4. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Welcome to the forum!

I normally only use 9mm to clean out my ears, but I can recommend three models of neener without reservation:

• Luger P08
    • Browning Hi-Power
    • CZ 75

All the others are just toys. Everybody on this forum agrees with me. Right guys and gals?

(Me packs a day bag and catches the bus for Oscar The Grouch's hotel)

5. pokute

Seriously, I strongly recommend that you shoot some 45 acp before you decide that 9mm is for you.

You didn't mention whether you were looking for a range gun or a gun to protect your family from zombified pitbulls.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the Springfield Forum Joe...

...from a former NE Philly ( Mayfair ) citizen.

7. Joeguns

Joeguns New Member

Thanks for the input all. This will most likely be for range shooting. And I will try the .45 ACP also. And my range also has a S&W .500 that I may try and hopefully not bruise myself. And no I won't be hunting zombies, Pokute

8. pokute

For a range gun, the SA Range Officer with adjustable sights, in either 9 or 45, would be an excellent choice.

Attached Files:

9. pokute

Do be careful with the S&W 500. The gun is huge and heavy, but the ergonomics are not very good compared to, say, a Ruger Super Blackhawk, or a Freedom Arms M83. If you wind up taking the full recoil force in your wrists, you could be injured. I shoot big bores a lot, and I always stop and take quick inventory on my stance and grip before I shoot anything with a recoil energy much above 25 ft/lbs. Note that the table in this link shows two loads for the 500, one of which is a pussycat, the other is a tiger: http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_recoil_table.htm

10. IwasReloading

IwasReloading New Member

11. DudeLove

DudeLove Member

Welcome enjoy yourself.

12. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Howdy from Austin, Texas.