got the new RO today not what I expect

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by Deerspy, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Deerspy

Deerspy Member

finely got funds to buy a RO took it home and disassemble to clean be for shooting. found a couple disturbing things not what I call quality.
    the first thing I saw was tip of disconnecter had grooves in it, then I looked at slide and some bird brain had engraved the surface it rides on it was a real sloppy job had burrs that would cut your finger, what do you think would be the best way to fix slide so it would not keep shaving of the disconnecter of and making it shorter?
    then while looking at bolt face area I see some one with grinds a pit around the firing pin hole, and leaves a step on face on side opposite extractor, that guy must have still had a hangover no one in there right mind would do that kind of stuff.:eek:

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Ouch. Sounds like Bubba had a go at your gun.

Okay, so the disco track can be stoned or filed with a very fine file to get the burrs off and then it can be polished. The engraving won't bother the disco if it's smooth. The disco itself can be polished with sandpaper and it should be fine.

The breech face damage sounds really odd. You need to shoot a few rounds (Carefully! One round a time, take the magazine out before firing, and wear something to protect your face!) and take a clear picture showing the base of the brass, and post it here. If the grinding around the firing pin is bad, you could blow a primer. Fortunately the stock SA firing pin is small, so the slide can be bored to accept a standard firing pin if things are really bad.

Since a slide is not a restricted item, you can send it to me, and I'll do whatever I can to try to make it right (for free). PM me if you want to do that. Unfortunately I don't have any spare discos.

3. Deerspy

Deerspy Member

I have cleaned up the disconnect and sanded the slide with 1000 grit but I can still catch my finger nail on the buggers in the engraving think I might try some sand paper on a ball nose tool and see if I can smooth out the jagged edges.

as for the breech face I have reworked the step with a piece of tool steel I had fixed another gun for a buddy that had a step it was bending the brass bad but the bird brain at springfield sanded a area about .25 by .35 around the firing pin hole with a sander don't know why they can't use a small counter sink to burr that hole, now face is not flat, bummer!

guess I better sand the slide stop pin it is .004 out of round mold lines on bouth sides. they really need quality control tools!
    like a test gage to try those pins in.

is any more things I should look for before test firing?

4. pokute

Mold lines on the pin is NOT normal. If it's a SA factory stop it should be 0.197 and ROUND. That's some deep engraving. And that hole is supposed to be reamed and straight with NO countersink!! If there's a countersink the primer will flow into it, which is potentially dangerous.

Normally, at ignition, the primer slips back a couple of thousandths, the cartridge follows it back and it get's pushed back in. If the primer slips back and flows into the firing pin hole, it can burst (pretty rare, but I've found range brass with blown primers). The reason SA went to the smaller pin was to make their guns less prone to primer blowout. If the primer blows out, combustion gases vent down the magazine tube... If you have a full magazine the grip panels can blow out, splinter, and mess up your hands - That's why Pachmayr rubber grips have metal plates buried in them.

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I'd send it back to Springfield myself,they're not going to know they're shipping stuff like that if nothing is said. Somebody needs their rear end reamed.

6. pokute

I have an awful feeling that there was a distributor or wholesaler involved in the life of this gun, and that at some point somebody not with SA boogered it, the distributor made good on it, And Deerspy got the lucky prize. HOWEVER, I also think that Deerspy can convince SA to bring it back to factory spec on their nickle without much prodding. So, I second SH's suggestion!

7. Deerspy

Deerspy Member

I would send it back except that I all ready fixed the step no the breech face and think the .002 to .003 deep pit they left in it will function ok it just sucks, and I sanded the slide and disconnector, and I sanded the slide stop pin parting line ran full length down bought sides and around the ball nose end diameter measured .1968 to .1995 before sanding, and the plunger end that contacts the slide stop was rough so i sanded it and polished. I just can't keep my hands off of things that need fixed probably voided warranty but I have not had very good luck sending things back to factory!

8. pokute

I admit to usually doing the same thing. In another gun forum that I will not name, I got piled on by a bunch of trolls for saying what you just said :D