Glock fanboy is now a,convert to 1911's but, kinda dumb, help please?

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by playcple, Jul 24, 2015.

1. playcple

playcple New Member

Hi folks,
    I'm an old guy trying to learn new tricks. CCW permit holder, Glock nut, old school S&W revolver past carrier and so on. I just decided to expand my horizons and ordered a brand new "Springfield Armory 1911 loaded". It seemed like a perfect fit for me, not a low end gun but not one that'll break the bank. I'm also a leftie so the ambi-safety as well as the other features really attracted me to it. Also, don't laugh , but, in flat black, it is one sexy gun.
    Now for the advice, while I can detail strip a Glock, know pretty much all I need on revolvers and consider myself so knowledgeable I can really screw up a large number of guns, I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING about 1911's! The first stupid question before I receive my new purchase (it's on order,I am expecting it next week) is magazines, I want to order a few extra so I don't spend all my time loading at the range. There seems to be a slew out there, what kind, type or style is available for the 1911 Loaded. Is Government ok? Is 8 round instead of standard 7 rd. ok? It's confusing for a newbie, and please, I'm not starting a argument about the best brand. After all, I just dropped a few to many dollars on the gun so I don't need to hear the best mag that cost an arm and leg is the ONLY ONE some expert would trust. Just a good, avg. priced mag. It's for range use not life-saving jobs
    Thanks in advance for your help, and stay tuned for more silly questions as I get more uneducated about the 1911!
    playcple

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. Willieboy

Willieboy Angry Old White Guy

Hello,

I'm pretty much in the same boat, i.e., old guy, Glock fan and recently bought the first 1911 I've had in years. I came up on the 1911, but loved Glock Perfection.

I've had good luck with Mec-Gar magazines and picked up a couple for my new Springfield Range Office Compact. I think stock 1911 Government Model magazine would be fine for you

3. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Mec-Gar's are so good that Springfield Armory has them make their magazines. Didn't you get a coupon with the gun to buy magazines for $10 a pop from SA?

4. Steve

Steve Member

Steve

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  5. pokute

It's possible to make a "super mag" by polishing everything. You can judge the feed quality of the mag (but not how well it will work in a given gun) by stripping rounds off the mag by hand. The mag itself should feed silky smooth.

Unfortunately, lots of things affect how the mag works in the gun. The mag catch can be high or low, or have a burr, or be malformed. The feed ramp of the barrel can sit too far back on it's seat in the frame (which can itself develop a nasty little cushion of dirt burnished into place by the barrel), or the barrel may not sit squarely on the frame seat. The throat of the barrel can have machine marks that interfere with cartridge tip-down (common reason for holllowpoint misfeeds). The mag tunnel itself can be oversize and out of spec. Primer/powder residue can build up on the ledge that the cartridge mouth seats on, causing feeding issues.

Chip McCormick 10 round mags feed super reliably. And the extra weight will close up your first double-tap if you go for that sort of thing. I don't believe there has ever been an actual double tap kill. Some folks say that the double tap makes your accuracy exactly twice as bad. Like most "tactical" stuff, it seems to have developed purely for entertainment. I love the laser or flashlight thing to make sure that everybody knows exactly where you are. Looks good in movies. If you hang out at the range enough, you'll see folding stocks come apart or refuse to extend with regularity. Cheap optics have an amusing habit of going totally haywire.

Oops. Got off topic yet again.

6. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Mec-Gar, Chip McCormick work well for me. Also, the ACT magazines, like come with Rock Island Armory 1911's, have never given me a problem.

7. pendennis

pendennis New Member

The choices of magazines is more of an art than science. Some 1911's don't care what gets put in the mag well, and they'll load and fire perfectly. There are others which are finicky based on how the slide stop release fits, how the magazine follower works (or not), and the wear and tear on follower springs.

I have Chip McCormicks, Wilson, Colt, Metal Form, used G.I., Check Mate, and Mec-Gars. In some pistols, like my full-size Range Officer, they all work all the time. However, in the case of my custom-built John Giles, Chip McCormicks fail miserably.

There are also slight dimensional differences between 7- and 8-round magazines, with some folks experiencing more failures with 8-rounders.

Good luck with your new Springer.

8. DudeLove

DudeLove Member

I use Tripp Research, Inc. magazines in all off my 1911 a little pricey but will worth the money.

9. pokute

The original flat follower GI mag had a little pimple in the follower that positioned the bullet nose-up for positive feeding. At some point, at least one mnufacturer got dimple confused with pimple, and put a useless divot into the follower. Modern mags typically have a contoured follower that feeds the bullet smoothly. SOME mags rattle loose in the magwell and cause jams. In general, shaking the gun briskly with the hammer down, grip safety depressed, and finger holding back the trigger should betray no rattling whatsoever. If the magazine rattles, there is a chance of feed issues.

There are special oversize (high) mag catches made by EGW that are adjustable. Properly adjusted and with properly adjusted mags, they produce the smoothest, most reliable feeding.

RIA guns are generally improved by replacing the mag catch with an SA factory mag catch.