Full 9 round mag issues

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory EMP' started by Amil Jacobs, May 14, 2018.

1. Amil Jacobs

Amil Jacobs New Member

Issue or maybe operator error on my 1911 , emp, 3 inch barrel, 9mm when inserting a full mag.

It feeds good with the slide back, insert the 9 round mag, and release the slide lock to chamber. No issues there and no issues when i use half of the mag on rounds and not full mag.

But when the slide is forward, insert a full mag, the mag doesn't go all the way up unless i slam from the bottom but even that, when it does go up, and then i manually grab the slide to load one in the chamber, it doesn't feed right. I have tried using jacketed HollowPoint 124 grain, sig sauer at the range.

Not sure because the pistol is new and i have to fire it few times at the range but i would like to carry it around without having one in the chamber , and with a full 9 round mag but i don't want it to give me feed problems if i have put one in the chamber by moving the slide back.

This is what our springfield armory customer service mentioned to me regarding this issue. I want to carry full mag without one in the chamber, i am not understanding push up slightly on the bottom of the mag (to release tension of button for release of full mag). Isn't this basically what we do when inserting the mag in?

"Thanks for the email. The 1911 line firearms are designed to drop an empty mag and insert a full mag while the slide is locked back. With the slide forward and the mag full the release button and catch are under tremendous tension and it is difficult to insert a mag or drop a full one. It is normal for these firearms when they are brand new. This will become less difficult over time as all the spings break in.

Three ways to eliminate the tension is to leave the mag partially full, push up slightly on the bottom of the mag (to release tension of button for release of full mag) or lock the slide back. "

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. Amil Jacobs

Amil Jacobs New Member

does anybody have this issue on their EMP 9MM ? When loading a full mag 9 rounds with the slide forward, and then when pulling the slide back to feed one in the chamber, no hangups or hiccups at all every single time?

3. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

I didn't when I had an EMP. Try someone elses mag if possiblle to diagnose the problem. Let them use your mag to determine if it is a mag or EMP issue.

In Vietnam, because of this problem, we NEVER loaded a 30 round magazine with more than 28 rounds.

4. Amil Jacobs

Amil Jacobs New Member

thanks for the response. Do you have to slam the mag clip when you have full 9 round in the emp, is that normal? The feed part rarely happens which i feel is good but i don't want to take that chance walking around and i need to use it someday so im thinking of just loading 8. As for the mags, i got 3 mags with the purchase of my emp and it was struggling with the feed on all 3 mags when fully loaded mag. It has gotten better though, i think it needs to be worn in.

5. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Slamming the magazine is something I learned in the military. I typically do that with all weapons.

Break-in is often 200+ rounds on some EMPs.