Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an SA 1911A1 Stainless Loaded model that was given to me 8 years ago and was a safe queen until recently when I decided to try it out. The pistol, although in mint condition, had been fired by the original owner. I have no idea on a round count through it.
Anyway, I cleaned and lubed it before going to the range and ran about 150 rnds of Rem-UMC 230 Gr. FMJ through it. After about the first 50 rnds, it started having an occasional failure to completely extract brass from the chamber. It occurred at least once for every 2 magazines that I ran through it.
Thoughts?

·
Sincere as a $5 funeral
1,620 Posts
When you start seeing regular failures, you should pay attention to when the failure occurs, for example on the second round from each mag or the next to last round from each mag. Also check to see whether the case mouth shows even slight damage, since even a small burr will cause failure. If you see case damage, try and figure out what is causing the damage. You could also have a chipped extractor, damaged magazine lips (try another magazine), or just some dirt caught in the wrong place.

Does it ever fail if you hand cycle the rounds through (DON'T DO IT AT HOME - IT'S THE NUMBER ONE WAY TO KILL YOUR T.V.)?

Without seeing the state of the gun at the time of failure, FTE is hard to diagnose. If you can't find the local expert at the range, then I'd recommend cleaning the gun again, being very careful to clean everywhere as perfectly as possible, and try again.

·
Sincere as a $5 funeral
1,620 Posts
By the way, I think I had the rarest FTE of all yesterday. The chamber in the barrel of my newest gun was cut wrong, and it gripped every round like death. Fortunately I had my handy Manson Chamber Finishing Reamer, and in a short HOUR, I was back in business. Almost. The bushing is binding too. Sigh.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
When it does the FTE, the extractor doesn't let go but the spent round doesn't completely clear the chamber. It's as if I am firing under powered rounds that don't kick the slide back hard enough.

I have not had any problems hand cycling it with live rounds.

·
Sincere as a $5 funeral
1,620 Posts
Okay, then it is *possible* that the recoil spring was upgraded, and is too stiff. It is also possible that there is some kind of binding. The only way to test the recoil spring is to buy a known 16lb recoil spring. To check for binding, cycle the slide STRONGLY by hand (with the magazine removed), and feel for increased resistance or hesitation when going into or coming out of full lockup. Make sure the gun is well lubricated, with grease inside the bushing, in the slide lugs and on the rails.

Also look at the fit at the back of the slide/frame at full lockup. It should be flush and even.

And do remember, you can send the gun back to Springfield and they will make it right at no charge. They operate on a "don't ask, don't tell" policy when it comes to the lifetime warranty. Just don't mention that you are not the original owner, and they won't ask and will honor the warranty. They are famous for this.

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
Concur on SA customer service. They're great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts