Freedom Arms 353 Casull

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by pokute, Aug 8, 2015.

1. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Latest example of poor fiduciary responsibilty. A Freedom Arms M83 353 Casull with a 9 inch barrel. This is Dick Casull's way of destroying 357 magnum brass in one pop - Load up a compressed charge of H110, back it up with a small rifle primer, and top it with a 180gr or heavier slug. Will launch a 158gr XTP at 2000fps - Yow! Oh yeah, 8 oz trigger pull, because you need all the help you can get at 500 yards. This gun has seen constant heavy use for 22 years, and the barrel/cylinder gap is still less than 0.001, and the cylinder lockup is utterly rigid.
    [​IMG]

2. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Mr. Casull never did anything half way.

3. pokute

Casull and Linebaugh are the real visionary madmen of the pistol world. Someday I hope to own a built-to-order FA M83 in 44M with a 5" barrel that's also been through the Bowen shop. I think that would run around $6k. Not going to happen anytime soon.

4. pokute

Range Report: With the rear sight cranked all the way down (and it was already all the way down from the last shooter - I should have suspected something was up) it was sighted in at... Get ready... 200 yards. Sigh. I shot some 10 inch plates at 200 yards, and some rams at 300 yards, and picked off a few, but Kentucky elevation was a bit dicey at 300 yards, with a lot of shots above and below the ram by about six inches. Got tired of holding up four pounds of gun pretty quickly.

The guy to my right had some kind of medium bore black rifle with all sorts of tacticool gear on it, and he was shooting it resting on a sled. Anybody here care to explain to me how he could miss - Every damn shot? His look of grim determination would have turned back an entire army of aggressors, even if his shooting was, uh, less than, uh, well, sucky. The special ops hat and baggy pants should have got him on target even if the ACOG was out of batteries, or whatever they run on. Maybe he was hungover.

5. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Missed every shot? Ya can't get more consistent than that.

6. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Maybe he'd better stick with shotguns. :D

7. pokute

Hmm... Yeah. I think he'd find this blingy enough (The second pic is the target market for that abomination - I apologize if the guy in that pic is a forum member or somebody's brother-in-law):

Attached Files:

8. pokute

I read somewhere that what is being used in the above pic as a forward handle is made of cheap plastic, and some fellow shot his hand clean off when one broke and he didn't know what to do with his hand, so he just shot it off. Some decisions do not bear reflection.

9. Geezer

Geezer New Member

You promised that you wouldn't share my photo. That was a special weekend we had, though.

10. pokute

Now everybody knows. Good job.