Formatting a post (paragraphs)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by megafiddle, Oct 10, 2015.

1. megafiddle

megafiddle Member

How does one get carriage returns into a post to form paragraphs? Both these sentences were entered with a couple carriage returns between them, but do not show up separated.

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Not
    sure

what
    the

problem
    is...

maybe you want Ctrl-Enter?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015

3. megafiddle

megafiddle Member

Ok thanks, I will try that...Nope, didn't work

4. megafiddle

megafiddle Member

Ok, I tried something: I looked at some text in the reply window and there were all these P's and /Ps inside of those left and right arrow symbols (HTML tags).

So I added them in myself and wallah! It worked!

I assume the P is for paragraph, but why am I unable to simply use a couple returns to do this? I assume everyone else is simply doing just that?

5. havasu

havasu Administrator Supporter

I usually only use the quick reply box, which is on the bottom right of the previous post.

6. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

On the laptop I just use "enter"

like this,but on my phone I haven't figured it out yet. :eek:

7. Balota

Balota Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

On my Droid Turbo, using the Springfield Forum app, a reply like this one is entered on a line at the bottom of the page.

There is a green circle with the icon for Enter key on it. Hitting that button breaks to a new paragraph.

Some phones have settings in their text messaging program that try to minimize your character count. That used to affect billing for text messages. Suppressing paragraph breaks saves 2 characters ( carriage return and line feed ) for each occurrence.

8. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Do you hear the bell before you hit the carriage return?

Just kiddin'. But, you do know that only us older folks know what a carriage return is?

9. Balota

And fewer understand why there are two characters CR and LF.

10. megafiddle

megafiddle Member

The problem could be due to using IE8 running on XP. I am still using it because I have several programs that will not run on Windows 7.

The newlines (carriage return / linefeed) are actually in the reply box; they are still there if I copy the text and place it in notepad, for example. So I imagine they are just getting stripped out somewhere in the process of submitting the reply.

I assume everyone starts out with the same default settings when they start using the forum, and since no one seems to be doing anything special, I would guess that the problem lies at my end with IE8.

11. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

I had to design a text input box that would normalize input from systems with every encoding and character set that might be used anywhere in the universe... I found that a failsafe mode that passed a subset of html tags like <br> and <p> was necessary to avoid having to debug possibly unique user issues.

12. Balota

Fun stuff parsing every character to eliminate all but a common subset. But why won't his system display it the way he enters it? Something in his system is eliminating the intended function of the Enter key. Is there a setting in his IE that does it?

13. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I sure wish you guys came with English subtitles :D .

14. Balota

Yeah, Gibbs would probably head slap both of us...