First time Springfield owner

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by nolabrian83, Apr 28, 2015.

1. nolabrian83

nolabrian83 New Member

I just purchasedmy first Springfield as well as my first 1911... I purchased the Range Officer compact chambered in 9mm I'm quite pleased with the fit finish it shoots really well as perform flawless to my first weekend of tests... Any tips or anything anybody can offer me being a new 1911 owner?

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Learn how to totally disassemble and reassemble it. The only tools you will need will be a screwdriver for the grip screws and an expired credit card to depress the little plunger when you reinstall the thumb safety.

Buy yourself a copy of The Kuhnhausen Book, or download it for free.

Clean and lube your 1911 with generous amounts of Ballistol. The 1911 runs best when it's dripping with oil.

SA 1911's are reliable and very strong. The 9mm barrel is hugely overbuilt, having the same O.D. as the 45. Frankly, the 9mm is such a puny round that you could load the case totally full of Power Pistol and hammer the bullet in on top of it without developing a round that will hurt anything bigger than a possum, or blow up the gun.

3. nolabrian83

nolabrian83 New Member

In confused what your saying about loading and it not hurt anything larger than a rodent...how do you feel about greasing rather than oil?

4. Geezer

Geezer New Member

If you have access to a lathe, you can even open up the inside diameter of the brass a few thousandths and get even more powder in there.

5. nolabrian83

nolabrian83 New Member

Oh okay I think I understand now... So I'm assuming I would be totally safe firing plus P ammunition through this particular gun?

6. pokute

Grease tends to collect dirt. If you go with the Ballistol, your maintenance regime will be extremely simple, and the gun will function optimally. Ballistol is really great stuff. If you are going to grease, I recommend Royal Purple, because it will never stiffen and it stays put. One tube will last you ten lifetimes.

7. pokute

Even if you pack the case with Bullseye and it blows out, there will be no damage to you or the gun. And it will only blow out if the headspace is way out of whack, which is highly unlikely in the RO. It's totally overbuilt for 9.

8. nolabrian83

nolabrian83 New Member

that's very comforting to know considering my primary concern is durability because I tend to shoot often... I've been using EWG extreme weapons grease... It cleans really quickly with a nice wipe after a range session and it doesn't seem to hold any trash in it... I used to use oil but it seems that on the 1911 platform it drags and doesn't feel as if it glides like with the grease... And then on top of that it runs all over the place

9. nolabrian83

nolabrian83 New Member

I have to say I am quite pleased with this pistol overall in every aspect... It seems very rugged and tough

10. pokute

Running all over the place is an advantage - Not all guns are as easy to take down and clean as the 1911, and I settled on Ballistol because I usually have 4-5 guns to clean after my weekly range trip, and Ballistol both cleans and lubes very well.

I admit, I have a huge collection of oils and greases that I haven't thrown away because they all seem to work pretty well on guns. I haven't tried EWG, but it appears to be very highly regarded.

11. nolabrian83

nolabrian83 New Member

Why would oil dripping running all over be.Good? Wouldn't it be bad being it migrates and leaves the area. I applied it to?