First Time Out

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1A Rifle' started by wizard1911, Nov 4, 2015.

1. wizard1911

wizard1911 New Member

It's been close to fifty years since I fired an M1a/M14 and I don't remember the recoil being that intense. Of course, fifty years ago there were a lot of things that didn't hurt. That's easy to solve. Everything else about the rifle is about perfect. One thing happened that I didn't expect. I was reloading for the fifth or sixth time when I noticed a guy about my age looking at the rifle. I called him over and handed my new rifle to someone I had never met. Strange. He looked at it and snapped it to his should like it was second nature. I handed him a magazine, pointed down range and nodded. He fired off ten rounds, paused and handed my rifle back. He looked me in the eye, nodded and walked off. I had never met him but I did know him, or at least a bunch of kids like him. Now, I'll remember everyone of them when I take this rifle out. Today was a good day.

2. MadKaw

MadKaw New Member

My M1As don't hurt anywhere near as much as the Mosin-Nagant. That rifle makes me glad we never got into a full blown war with the Russians. Any people that would pick that as their main battle rifle (heck, even their women shot it!) is not a people I want to take on. :)

OTOH, my M1As are on the heavy side — 11 and 13 pounds, so I'm cheating a bit.

3. wizard1911

wizard1911 New Member

I agree 100% on the Mosin. I solved that problem with a slip on Limbsaver and did the same with my M1a.