First day at the range

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by firefighter21, Mar 28, 2015.

1. firefighter21

firefighter21 New Member

Going to the range tomorrow any suggestions on how far away to fire the xd .45 for its first time really being fired planning on putting about 125 rounds in her tomorrow

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

3. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

7 yards if you're a cop... 50 yards if you're a fireman!

Attached Files:

4. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

20' to 25' would be my suggestion......

5. Deerspy

Deerspy Member

I like to use the old PPC man size target cores of fire for new guns, start two hands out at 7 yards 15 rounds, then 15 yards 15 rounds, then 25 yards 20 rounds, then repeat as necessary until you can score above 450 out of 500 possible. then try it one hand.

6. pokute

And be sure to take a cue from the cop in the pic above - When shooting two handed, say "Boom!" "Boom!".

After shooting with two hands and one hand, and scoring 450/500, try shooting with your gun. Much less eye-hand coordination required when you don't have to say "Boom!" every time, but there may be more recoil.

Seven yards... Where's the fun in that? Fif-Ty, Fif-Ty, Fif-Ty! It's a gun, fer chrissakes. You're not going to the range to throw cellphones!

7. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Cause I get a better score at seven yards, than at fifty!!! Lol

8. squirrelhunter

I doubt I could hit the target at 50 with a 1911 and if the bg was that far I probably wouldn't need to use my gun because I probably wouldn't be in danger and I could hide or leave.:D

9. pokute

You're just not thinking pro-actively. You need to watch some YouTube videos of the LAPD applying pro-active defensive techniques. Shoot defensively before you are caught in a defensive situation. Watch some Hopalong Cassidy films to see how to walk into any situation and instantly master it. If you go looking for trouble you'll find it before it finds you.

;):):D

10. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

Everything looks fuzzy-wuzzy at 50 yds.....and that's with my good eye open.

11. pokute

Uh-oh... No range report...

12. squirrelhunter

I avoid trouble,I hate court rooms ;).

13. pokute

I served jury duty, once. I got tired of having to dump all the change I brought for the vending machines (which turned out to be outside) on the conveyor belt to get in and out of the building. The third time, I just tossed my jacket onto the belt with the change in the pockets. When the guy operating the metal detector picked it up, the change flew all over the place! He told me to pick it up. I said "Sorry, I'm serving jury duty, you pick it up!", and then ran away and ducked into the jury room :D

14. firefighter21

firefighter21 New Member

Range was great put 225 rounds through my baby recoil calmed down after about 6 clips

15. Tex8390

Tex8390 New Member

I don't see no picture proof... What's a forum to do???

16. firefighter21

firefighter21 New Member

Way to many to post lol

17. squirrelhunter

Without pictures it didn't happen. ;)

18. firefighter21

firefighter21 New Member

ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1427998035.266474.jpg ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1427998055.265115.jpg
    Will get a picture of the target uploaded when I find it

19. pokute

Okay, let's talk stance. You've got a couple things working against you.

Your arms are slightly bent, which is good. However:

You are standing all twisted up, and your right foot is working against you placed way back like that. It looks like you are angling your head down and trying to sight looking over the top of your glasses... That's going to handicap you pretty badly.

For two handed shooting, you should stand with your feet pointed straight ahead, shoulder width apart. Bend your knees slightly - You will notice that you are now leaning slightly forward, allowing your shoulders to do some of the work of controlling the recoil.

For one handed shooting, right handed: face left, feet pointing slightly forward, and sight along your arm.

Look at Rob:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZZfS48o1xs[/ame]

See how easy it is?

20. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

I think he's in the " in case I miss I can pivot, push-off,
    and run like hell" stance. :eek: