Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received a Springfield 1911 A1 Loaded with a parkerized finish as a gift at the beginning of the month. I have put about 500 rounds through it and the gun is operating flawlessly. I find it easier to keep on target than my Glock 17 G5. When I picked up my gun, I purchased an extra magazine, an 8 round Stainless Steel Mec-Gar, to add to the two factory 7 round magazines. The 8 round magazine exhibited no problems and seemed to slide into the gun easier for some reason. It protrudes from the bottom of the grip just a little, but looks fine and it has a bumper pad that makes it look like it belongs to the gun. I have since purchased 3 more 8 round Mec-Gar magazines and used them the other day. No problems at all.

Any downside to using an 8 round magazine? Could the spent cartridges eject differently? (I wouldn't think so, but I did get a little brass dimpling on the slide by the ejection port - managed to clean most of it off). Living in Canada this is, like all pistols, a range gun so whether I use 7 or 8 round magazines is not of any significance.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mec-gar magazines for whatever pistol they are made for are regarded as better than those supplied by the pistol manufacturer. They are Quality. SA pistols the ones with a steel frame are easier to keep on target as they are heavier and absorb the recoil better than a plastic fantastic Glock.

·
Registered
284 Posts
So PeterC4 you prefer the .45 from Springfield even though the best you can do is have 8 rounds. Most interesting. Single stack 9 mm does much better, by 2 rounds. LOL. However there is much less recoil and quicker second shot and on target. 2011 is great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So PeterC4 you prefer the .45 from Springfield even though the best you can do is have 8 rounds. Most interesting. Single stack 9 mm does much better, by 2 rounds. LOL. However there is much less recoil and quicker second shot and on target. 2011 is great.
That's why I'm buying more magazines....LOL. The .45 is a great gun. I recently got a Beretta M9A3 too. Alas the Glock sits in the safe for now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some folks say they experince feeding problems with the first round out of some brand 8 round magazines,I've never experienced it with 8 rds.,I have with some manufactures of 10 rds. though.
Most manufactures use the hybrid feed lips as a compramise for feeding semi wadcutters unless it's a USGI style for ball ammo. My preference dating from my IPSC days is Metalform magazines, however the Newish CMC RPM magazines I purchased recently are becoming my new first choice in 1911 mags.,look in to their feed lip design,If nothing becomes deformed I don't think the feed lips would ever wear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts