EMP4 9mm Contour

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory EMP' started by SAWC1911, Apr 22, 2018.

1. SAWC1911

SAWC1911 New Member

I bought my first SA, an EMP4 Champion Contour this month. So far I ran 250 rounds of various brands (Magtech, Sig Elite, Sellier & Bellot, Speer Cleanfire, in 115g, 124g, 147g ball ammo, including a box of Federal Premium LE HST Duty 147g JHP. I have experienced one FTF, a dozen FTE. The gun is tight as expected, I cleaned it and oiled it before and after each range time. I like this gun, and will run at least 1000 rounds before I send it back to SA for some Smith-attention. I need this gun to be reliable enough to carry and at this price point it should run like Swiss watch.

Doublea88 likes this.
  2. Doublea88

Doublea88 New Member

I agree! Had issues with mine as well. It’s a .40 and I brought it to a local shop for some polishing etc.. haven’t run too many rounds through her lately but will be doing so soon. I want mine to be bulletproof as well but won’t be carrying it quite yet. That’s what the HK, Walther or Glock is for.

3. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

4. Danno65

Danno65 New Member

hello all, new to the Forum,
    Planning on buying an EMP4 CCC but it has generated a certain amount of bad press both here and other sites, has Springfield made any changes for the better?

Danno65

5. Doublea88

Doublea88 New Member

Tough call pal.. I really enjoy shooting mine. If you’ve read a few posts, I had issues out of the box and had a little work done to it. Fantastic shooter, accurate as hell! I just won’t put it into EDC though. There are way too many other guns that I feel are way more reliable. It’s just a really “tight” gun.

6. SAWC1911

SAWC1911 New Member

Ran 300 rounds of Federal HST 147g JHP and I'm happy to report that my EMP4 CCC functioned flawlessly! Flitz is my friend, I polished the feed ramp a bit just by hand with the tip of a pencil eraser and ran her wet throughout this range session. So far I am pleased with its' performance. I initially thought to send it back to SA, but the slide to frame has lapped quite well and the cycling smoothing out. Very accurate at 15 to 25 yards and fun to shoot. Not quite ready for EDC, so used to my stock Glocks for that. For those of us that have experienced various issues with the EMP4 CCC, don't give up on it, shoot it like you stole it!

7. Danno65

Danno65 New Member

I may take a serious look at a Ruger SR1911 commander size 9mm.

8. brian speaker

brian speaker New Member

This week I was able to hit the range with my new EMP4 CCC 9MM. First,100 rounds of Winchester Train. Slide did not return fully to battery on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th mags run. Light push with my thumb sent the slide the rest of the way. After that no problems with the remaining T's.
    Second, 93 rounds of Winchester Defend. All flawless.
    Only shot at 10 yards sights were dead on. Very happy with this pistol.
    Carries great in a Don Hume leather clip on IWB holster in appendix carry position.

9. Danno65

Danno65 New Member

Well, sounds encouraging, maybe I go for the EMP4 CCC and hope for the best.
    At worst, one trip back to SA should make it right.
    Just seems like a $1,000+ gun should shoot right out of the box!!!
    Danno65

Doublea88 likes this.
  10. Danno65

Danno65 New Member

BTW, how much did you guys have to spend for your CCC?

11. brian speaker

brian speaker New Member

I'm in eastern Pennsylvania,I paid just over $1100 out the door.

12. angrymade

angrymade New Member

I purchased my EMP4 CCC last Saturday and have now put 1500rds through it. The first thing I did was clean the hell out of it and polish the feed ramp. I had a few feed issues where the slide was jamming, but I'm assuming it was because the cases looked expanded (reloads from Fenix, there stuff is amazing!!). I carry 115gr Hornady Critical duty in my Glock's and am doing the same with my EMP. I've ran 100rds of the defense ammo without a hitch... So I've been carrying this thing for the last few days now and couldn't be happier.
    *paid $1100 for it.

IMG_0266.jpg IMG_0274.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  13. Gers4lyfe

Gers4lyfe New Member

Hi,

New SA EMP4 CCC owner here. It was an anniversary gift. I haven't been to the range yet but I'm looking forward to it.
    I've got to say I'm really happy with the G10 grips and the stippling on the front and back straps. I'm pretty optimistic about the trigger control as a result of the positive grip.

It came with three of the 9 round mags so I picked up two of the 10 rounders to go with it. To carry I bought a Bianchi OWB minimalist holster and two mag carriers from El Paso Saddlery.

Hope the world is treating everyone well.

14. Voltaire

Voltaire Member

Which type did it Fail to fire? Did you then reload the round that failed to fire and fire it a second time? The fail to extract is worrying, so many, again with all ammunition or just some? Some manufacturers have or use hard primers, that's why i love federal, soft and 100% reliable. CCI are also good. What recoil spring are you using?

15. wingman

wingman New Member

Dang, that's a sweet pistol. I'll have to start saving for that bute.

16. Gers4lyfe

Gers4lyfe New Member

I've now run 450 rounds through my EMP4 CCC. 150 rounds on each trip to the range.
    The only challenge I faced was the initial trip it would hang up every 35 rounds. The slide felt gritty and it took a little fidgeting with the slide stop/lock and the slide moved forward.

As this is my first 1911 I spoke to a friend who is well versed in 1911's. He told me to take it apart and clean it thoroughly and slowly go through each step of assembly. Make sure the slide stop seats correctly and the barrel link is in place correctly when doing so. This I did and on the second trip, there were no hiccups. All 150 rounds ran flawlessly. The third trip was the same and it seems the slide has smoothed out.

I find the sights easy to acquire and the trigger pull has ruined my other full size pistol for me. It now feels spongy in single action although it is as accurate as it ever was. I will run another 450 rounds through this EMP4 and make the call on it replacing my current CC pistol.

So far I'm pretty happy with it.

17. unclebob

unclebob Active Member

Glad it is finally working for you.
    I have only one 1911 a Ranger Officer.
    I am not too concerned about it getting dirty since I don't carry, so I went old school and run mine wet.
    Never a hiccup yet.

Gers4lyfe likes this.
  18. SAFAN

SAFAN New Member

I just bought a 4" EMP CCC with the gear up package. I have 315 rounds through it and no way I would trust it as a CCW. It will launch ball ammo all day without issue but I have not been able to get it to cycle JHP and have run three different bullets through it. Speer 147g+p Fed HST 147g+p and Federal 147g with all three having cycling issues from worst to best. I have run all three of these rounds in Glock and Walther polymer striker fire pistols with zero issues.

I am sending it back to Springfield to look at it and hopefully polish the ramp and take the ledge down which the round enters the chamber which seemed sharp to me. This is my first foray into the 1911 world and was hoping to be able to use it as a carry piece at some point but no way I would use it like it is to replace my $300 Walther PPS M2!

Pro's IMO: Great looking gun especially after I figure out how to get the cocobollo grips on it! Trigger is AWESOME! I have small hands and I really like the smaller grip. Shoots really well with tight groupings but it took me a little while to figure out it is a 6 o'clock aim. The rear sight on mine MAY be off too but it could also be my old eyes. I am consistently shooting left and high with it but I am also way left eye dominant and have been aiming center of target. I checked it against a Glock 17 with Trigicon RMR I just zeroed but the red dot may look different with my eyes than a 3 dot sight. The pic I posted is at 25' and I was aiming center of target.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  19. Voltaire

Voltaire Member

Firstly at 25' they should all be in the absolute center. Perhaps the chamber was tight and i would barrel drop rounds to see if they seat correctly. Then examine the length of the round, some pistols like shorter rounds and a reamed barrel. Glocks will eat anything, that's why people buy them. I like 124 grn and find 147 a bit tight. Looking at the photo of the round in the magazine as it's feeding it is not even close so possibly to longs. What happens if you only load 5 rounds?

20. SAFAN

SAFAN New Member

I havent tried only loading 5 rounds but it did seem to run better after the first few rounds. That is a Speer +P 147g JHP jammed on the feed ramp in the pic. Now that I think about it I only fired 147g JHP and 115g ball ammo through it.

I did look at the barrel and chamber opening and it seemed like if the opening was contoured and the feed ramp polished it may solve the problem, at least with it cycling. For sighting the rear sight needs adjusted and I need to aim for a 6 o'clock hold which I did not realize at the time. For the $$ I didnt expect as many issues either.

Springfield has it right now I will report back with what they decide.
    Thanks