EMP3 vs EMP4

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory EMP' started by mouse9mm, Sep 4, 2016.

1. mouse9mm

mouse9mm New Member

OK, so I took out both my EMP3 and EMP4 to the range.
    Using Winchester white box 9mm 115gr

EMP3 = Flawless

EMP4 = failure to eject mostly, and failure to chamber on a few, and sometimes failure to lock slide after last round.
    When I shoot the EMP4, the slide and spring feels a little spongy, not as solid as the EMP3, Not sure why.

It could be limp wrist with EMP4, and I tightening up my grip, and it fixed a good portion of the failures, but still not flawless.
    Limp wrist could be part of the EMP4 OEM grips, kind of slippery compared with EMP3 G10 grips, and this could be the issue. I dont have large hands.

Also, what about the ammo being 115gr? maybe too light and should I use higher grain like 124gr? But this gun is over $1100, shouldnt it eat up anything? not sure as I am new to EMP3 and EMP4

Any advise and pointers will be taken seriously by me, my feelings wont be hurt, I need to learn from the best....

Please help as I DO NOT want to get rid of this EMP4 (looks awesome to give up on it)

2. Rochefort

Rochefort New Member

Don't give up. is it still in the break in period? How many rounds have you put it hrough it? I'm having a slow start with mine, too, but at about 200 rounds it started to smooth out and I expect it'll be all right.

I found the disconnector was hanging up and when I disassembled it for cleaning, it would block the slide when I reassembled. If yours has this problem you might squirt some CLP down the channel, then work it up and down until it's smooth. Also check the ejector for tightness.

After you've checked those two things, and nothing else is out of whack, heavily lube all the accessible parts, and shoot 500-700 rounds. Keep her wet, and the contact points will lap themselves into a perfect fit. If you've fired 700 rounds and you're still malfing, call custy service.

3. Rochefort

Rochefort New Member

P.S. - I wouldn't worry about limp-wristing. I won't speak to strikers like Glock, but Gunsite Academy runs a demo for each class with the instructor firing a 1911 holding it with only his thumb and trigger finger without malfunction. This experiment has been repeated over and over (and I've even done it) without malfunction. If you believe in the limp wrist phenomenon, you might want to put that last on your list of culprits.

Or you could ship that obviously hazardous pistol to me, and I'll safety dispose of it ;D

4. mouse9mm

mouse9mm New Member

Yeah, I won't get rid of it, feels too nice. I'm not use to a firearm with malfunctions out of the box. All my other pistols were flawless out of the box, so the EMP4 came as a surprise and I was frustrated and upset since I paid a pretty Penny for it. But I think I figured it out. It was the extractor. I did a tension test with a shell and it didn't even hold it at all, it was like there was no extractor at all. Unreal, after a few bends, the extractor now holds the shell in place. So this might be the culprit........

5. mouse9mm

mouse9mm New Member

This EMP4 brand spanking new. Only 150 frustrating rounds. I never knew even expensive pistols need break in periods.....I figured, if someone paid a lot for a pistol, you get what you paid for out of the box. I guess I was wrong....now my extractor hopefully fixed, I will throw in heavier rounds during the break in period.....

6. mouse9mm

mouse9mm New Member

I'm gonna keep it wet like you suggested...thanks.....I fixed the extractor issue hopefully, never thought about the ejector.....huh

7. mouse9mm

mouse9mm New Member

Interesting...I think I'm gonna go with you on this.....I'll cross off limp wrist....since all my other 8 pistols are fine with the same limp wrist...LOL

8. mouse9mm

mouse9mm New Member

Anyone hear of "Extractors 1911 by Altec"?
    Wonder if they fit the EMP4

9. Rochefort

Rochefort New Member

Yeah, and the general rule of thumb is that the more expensive the pistol, the longer the break-in. My very best 1911 arrived so tight the FFL had to whack the slide to rack it, but after 1,000 rounds it functioned flawlessly although I still get a kick from the expressions on first-timers' faces when they rack it the first time. Having said that, I sure wouldn't carry anything that I hadn't put at least 1,000 rounds through with acceptable reliability. Your mileage may vary, particularly on "acceptable."

The higher end models are engineered for tightness = accuracy, and the tradeoff is they can get finicky about their diet, especially with defense expanding bullets. The 1911 nines are sort of a foray into the unknown. Sort of like pioneer helicopters. Expect the unexpected. Trust no one. That kind of stuff.

10. Rochefort

Rochefort New Member

And be sure to check with custy service before you install aftermarket parts or even have an independent smith try a fix because if it voids the warranty, down the road you might have a major issue that you're not going to want to pay for fixing.

11. mouse9mm

mouse9mm New Member

Yeah, agreed on having customer service look it, but I dread the mailing back and forth...with my personality, I would rather pay a local gun smith to fix it right there on the spot and take it to one of the lanes to test it in front of my eyes.

But I think I resolved it anyway, I slightly bent the extractor to finally hold a shell, before, it was like there was no extractor. Tested it with snap caps with many rapid slide racks, and successful at chambering, extracting and ejecting. Now I need to live test this sucker sometime this week.

12. mouse9mm

mouse9mm New Member

EMP4 Extractor UPDATE

Finally went to the range, and the final results from my little extractor issue....FLAWLESS, 124gr, 115gr, no matter, the EMP4 ate it all up, and spit it out. All because a straight extractor installed OEM out of the box, had to bend it a little, and fixed :) Happy Now!

13. Rochefort

Rochefort New Member

Glad to hear it! I'm a real sucker for 9mm on the 1911 frame, and the EMP4 is the berries.

14. mouse9mm

mouse9mm New Member

Yeah, it is so awesome, both the EMP and EMP4, awesome!
    A pain breaking them down to clean, but awesome when I hold it.
    I think I will change the EMP4 OEM grips to G10, the OEM is slippery at times when hand get sweaty......

15. mouse9mm

mouse9mm New Member

New G10 grips on my EMP4

Attached Files:

16. mouse9mm

mouse9mm New Member

Ok, I know the obvious difference from the emp 4 and the new 2017 emp 4 contour, BUT what is the difference from the emp 3 and the new 2017 emp 3 black? Other than the new black color?

17. FightFireJay

FightFireJay New Member

Black in color "Armory Kote" slide and instead of tritium sights it has a "combat rear" (double white dot) and fiber optic front.

Looks like all the EMPs now come with 3 mags but no holster or mag pouch from the factory. However, there is a promo currently if you purchase by June 30th, you can send away for 4 more mags, a holster, and a double mag pouch.

18. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum FFJ and thanks for the post.

19. mouse9mm

mouse9mm New Member

I went to my LGS and touched the new EMP 3" Black, to my surprise, the black Kote coating does make a difference, so smooth when you rack it, feels like gliding on ice, no joke...but is that worth me buying this as I also have the old EMP3" and the old EMP4"

LOL

20. cremaley

cremaley New Member

[​IMG]

Recently purchased the above EMP 4 Concealed Carry Contour and like it much more than the EMP 3 is use to own. Don't get me wrong the EMP 3 is a great gun but the extra barrel length with the EMP 4 just suits me better. I changed out the stock grips for Stoner CNC Tactical Eclipse Grey and Black G10s. They look and feel great.