Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased an S/A EMP ( Not Ronin) have shot about 300 round through it . Cleaned Lubricated all good.

BUT none of the three magazines supplies with the pistol will lock the slide back on the last shot. This is not intermittent but every time . You can lock the slide to the rear manually when unloaded by will not lock back on last shot empty.

Have tried Winchester Defender, Winchester Ranger. Speer Gold Dot , Federal Hydra Shock, Fronchi 124 Ball

Winchester Silver Tips. Non of these rounds will work the slide stop . Any idea's. Love to hear you thoughts .

Keep in mind you can do it with an empty pistol by hand but not with rounds on last shot .

Thanks
Layne12gun

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do your mags lock the slide back without ammo? Like when you are cleaning it or when you rack the slide with an empty mag inserted? If not, call SA and send it in with all 3 mags. They’ll fix it.
Yes Mags lock the slide open without Ammo when manually pulling slide to rear with mag in place But not on last shot fired hold open

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry, I was initially reading from my phone and didn't see that you could get it to stay open by racking with no rounds. I would call Springer and tell them exactly what is going on. They'll likely have you ship it back to them on their dime with their label (Sig does this with warranty work).

This is worth doing, but you could also shoot another 200 rounds through it to get it over the 'break in' hump and see if you are still experiencing this problem. I would just stick with range 115 grain ammo or maybe 124 - but not the exotic stuff. Don't mess with that until you have it performing properly with 500+ rounds. Maybe add a bit of white grease to the slide rails and underside of slide where it rides over metal.

·
464 Posts

This is a link that shows how the bolt hold open works on a rifle. It is basically the same on a handgun. Generally failures to lock back, that are not caused by the user, are weak mag springs or damaged followers or slide stop. Did you buy your EMP new or used? I'm wondering how old the mags are. I would think they are Springfield mags since the ones for the EMP are proprietary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This is a link that shows how the bolt hold open works on a rifle. It is basically the same on a handgun. Generally failures to lock back, that are not caused by the user, are weak mag springs or damaged followers or slide stop. Did you buy your EMP new or used? I'm wondering how old the mags are. I would think they are Springfield mags since the ones for the EMP are proprietary.
Brand New Gun Unfired in Factory Box..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, I was initially reading from my phone and didn't see that you could get it to stay open by racking with no rounds. I would call Springer and tell them exactly what is going on. They'll likely have you ship it back to them on their dime with their label (Sig does this with warranty work).

This is worth doing, but you could also shoot another 200 rounds through it to get it over the 'break in' hump and see if you are still experiencing this problem. I would just stick with range 115 grain ammo or maybe 124 - but not the exotic stuff. Don't mess with that until you have it performing properly with 500+ rounds. Maybe add a bit of white grease to the slide rails and underside of slide where it rides over metal.
Back to the range today . Relubed cleaned another 200 rounds so Im over the 500 break in still doing it on all three magazines .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the EMP went back to the factory today. Magazines will not lock back on last round fired and also getting some failures to extract. So back to the mother ship it goes and we will see what the mother ship says about the problem

Ill let you all know

Layne12gun

1 - 11 of 11 Posts