Emp 9mm ammo

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory EMP' started by hotlead, Jul 16, 2016.

1. hotlead

hotlead New Member

Got my new emp a couple weeks ago. Love this firearm, feels great and carry is comfortable. Had some failures to fire with Remington umc 115. Also had very erratic malfunctions with some ammo from a local loader. Performance from blazer, PMC, and American eagle by federal was spot on. Also ran some federal hydr shok through her without a hiccup. Very impressive accuracy! Anyone have any ammo issues or tips on what to stay away from?

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Someone should be along to answer your question but in the meantime you should hop over to the Introductions forum and introduce yourself.....we like pictures by the way ;).

3. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Not yet but my new Sig P238 is another issue completely.

4. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

Is that a pro or con "nother issue" on the 238 ?
    got one . . . . it the wifes, I'm just the "cleaning person", and
    care giver to it.
    It has shot well, has an ergonomic issue, and had a slide latch
    catch issue that some minor stoning took care of.

5. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

Is this an EMP 3" . . . . or the new 4"
    Unless you have Cardinal knowledge of a reload . . . . DON'T !
    There is a ton of 9mm options in ammo. Just keep track of want
    don't work and what does. (weight and speed will "help" sort it out)
    . . . and the exceptional stuff, it gets to travel with you and,
    or pulls home front duty.:)

6. SoCal1911

SoCal1911 New Member

My EMP 3 inch has had problems fully going into battery with some rounds. The case heads were not allowing the round to chamber fully, Even though the rounds were in SAMMI specs. The barrel was undersized at .388, were SAMMI specs call out for .394 or under. So any round with the case head larger then .388, would not chamber fully. Springfield I think list it as a "Match Chamber". But it is not reasonable to have to chamber each round before using in a CCW pistol, to make sure it will or will not chamber. I contacted Springfield customer service and they sent a shipping label to send back. Waiting for the return to see what they do. I am sure they will take care of this for me.

My EMP has been returned back from Springfield, a two week turn around, pretty quick! They recut the feed ramp and polished it too. When they recut the feed ramp, they removed the sharp edge were the feed ramp met chamber, which allowed the rounds to chamber fully. Also they installed a firing pin bushing to correct the off center firing pin hits. 150 rounds fired today, no problems and went well. It is true, Springfield has great customer service.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I'm sure they will too,their CS is top notch.

8. CClowers2

CClowers2 New Member

Hotlead:
    Consider reviewing & running a box of Underwood Extreme Defender ammo. This my EDC ammo for my 3".40 S&W EMP.
    Sensors up! It's not nice out there.
    Regards/CClowers2

9. AMDnutt

AMDnutt New Member

Please explain the "failure to fire" from the Remington - were they light primer strikes?
    Also, what "erratic malfunctions" did you have?

Little more info may help with diagnosis...

10. hotlead

hotlead New Member

The erratic problems I had were stovepipes, failures to eject and failures to chamber next round. Haven't had these issues with any other ammo than ones from a reloader. The issues with Remington failure to fire looked like strong strikes to me on the primer, maybe these primers are harder than most. I haven't had and other problems with any other ammo of all types fmj or personal defense in hornady or federal