Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. This is my first post on this forum so go a little easy on me. First of all, please understand that I am not here to bash SA. On the contrary, I have been totally happy with them and the other two RO's I have. One .45 and one in 9mm.My issue is with a new EMP3 9mm that I purchased new at a gun show the first week of Dec. I took the gun out the day I purchased it to make sure it functioned properly. First two mags; no problem. On the third mag I started having FTF. I noticed strange firing pin strikes on the primers and a flake of brass on the end of the firing pin. After removing that everything was fine for about two more mags and then more FTF. All FTF shells went of the first time when fired in my RO. Not an ammo issue. I called CS, explained my problem and was sent a FEDX label . I included a description of what was going on with the gun as directed and returned to factory. Received there the 16th of Dec.

I got the gun back today with invoice as to what was done to the gun. Reamed chamber,recut and polished barrel ramp,polished chamber,refit barrel, pinned ejector, 1911-A1 ejector pin. safety checked and inspected. Unfortunately they failed to address the issue. Not complaining about the work they did, especially pinning the ejector. I almost knew before taking it out to shoot that I was going to have the same problem and I did. 1 FTF on first mag then 39 rounds w/o a FTF, but the next mag I had 4 FTF. Called CS and the gun is going back tomorrow. This time I left the copper flake on the end of the FP and included several fired cases.
Just wondering if any one else has had this issue. Thanks for bearing with me.
Steve

· Registered
551 Posts
I am wondering does any police department in your state of the whole country use on the JOB and privately CCW issues as you describe with some SA pistols.
No law enforcement agency or other would tolerate such sloppy Quality control. All the best.

· Registered
2023 EMP Ronin 9 mm
15 Posts
Hello all. This is my first post on this forum so go a little easy on me. First of all, please understand that I am not here to bash SA. On the contrary, I have been totally happy with them and the other two RO's I have. One .45 and one in 9mm.My issue is with a new EMP3 9mm that I purchased new at a gun show the first week of Dec. I took the gun out the day I purchased it to make sure it functioned properly. First two mags; no problem. On the third mag I started having FTF. I noticed strange firing pin strikes on the primers and a flake of brass on the end of the firing pin. After removing that everything was fine for about two more mags and then more FTF. All FTF shells went of the first time when fired in my RO. Not an ammo issue. I called CS, explained my problem and was sent a FEDX label . I included a description of what was going on with the gun as directed and returned to factory. Received there the 16th of Dec.

I got the gun back today with invoice as to what was done to the gun. Reamed chamber,recut and polished barrel ramp,polished chamber,refit barrel, pinned ejector, 1911-A1 ejector pin. safety checked and inspected. Unfortunately they failed to address the issue. Not complaining about the work they did, especially pinning the ejector. I almost knew before taking it out to shoot that I was going to have the same problem and I did. 1 FTF on first mag then 39 rounds w/o a FTF, but the next mag I had 4 FTF. Called CS and the gun is going back tomorrow. This time I left the copper flake on the end of the FP and included several fired cases.
Just wondering if any one else has had this issue. Thanks for bearing with me.
Steve

reading your post again did you buy an EMP or EMP ronin?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know you said it wasn't an ammo issue, but what type were you using? I'm wondering if it was factory loaded ammo or reloads.
Both of the above. My reloads, Norinco, Win. white box, and Fiocchi. All had FTF. All shells that FTF in the EMP fired the first time in my Range Officer. That's why I felt confident in stating that it was not the ammo.
Steve

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a EMP 9mm that had many misfires when I first got it brand new. I purchased the gun in CA. where the state requires Springfield to sell the EMP 9mm with a light weight Titanium firing pin with a stronger firing pin spring in order for the gun to pass the CA. drop test. This was the problem causing the misfires.
I sent the gun back to Springfield and they replaced the firing pin and firing pin spring with a standard steel pin and standard spring. After several hundred rounds no more failures to fire. Springfield payed the postage both ways and no charge for the repair. You might check and see if your gun has the Titanium firing pin for sale in CA.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Bob. I'll know more when I get the invoice. If the problem still exists after I get it back, I'll ask them about that.. Something I didn't mention and am not sure if it matters, but the firing pin strikes are not centered on any of the fired rounds.
Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts