Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally picked up an Emissary yesterday, got it home and put my laser round in the chamber since I didn't have time to actually shoot it. Trigger pulled, hammer fell, no laser. My other handguns are able to activate the laser (which is a fake primer) every time with no issue, so why would my new Emissary not be able to?

I checked the firing pin, it has its spring and I am able to push it through the tunnel out the other side easily. When stripping the gun, I noticed that the firing pin is a bit odd to take out compared to my other 1911s, it has a two-stage removal where rather than pop out as soon as the stop plate is slid out, it stayed in place. Is that an issue with the firing pin? I am planning on taking it to the range soon, I hope this is just a weird issue with the laser rounds and not my brand new $1,200 firearm...

·
Registered
319 Posts
For such a great looking pistol that is not cheap you should be having NO issues. You can still fire the pistol at home IN your garage or workshop. All you have to do is take i round, remove the projectile, empty out the powder and one the case is absolutely clean load the empty case (primer intact) into the chamber, drop the slide into position and pull the trigger. Has to go bang and if you put a towel in front of the barrel all the small amount of smoke will be caught. That's how many test firing pins before going to the range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For such a great looking pistol that is not cheap you should be having NO issues. You can still fire the pistol at home IN your garage or workshop. All you have to do is take i round, remove the projectile, empty out the powder and one the case is absolutely clean load the empty case (primer intact) into the chamber, drop the slide into position and pull the trigger. Has to go bang and if you put a towel in front of the barrel all the small amount of smoke will be caught. That's how many test firing pins before going to the range.
I am an absolute idiot. I didn't try the laser bullet again after that cleaning, it worked fine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hammer to remove projectiles. Quick, very simple to use and very inexpensive a must. Will even work with all rifle rounds and pistol.
Stonemason's hammer Hand tool Wrench Geologist's hammer Tool

·
Registered
XD-S Mod.2 OSP w/CT1500 and Hellcat w/RMRcc both in 9mm
21 Posts
If you need to test this again, just put a piece of tape on the laser round and see if the firing pin makes a hole in it or not. I use a snap cap and tape for testing after changing a firing pin/striker spring.

FWIW, a primer produces more than just a small puff of smoke so you probably don't want something in front of the muzzle if you decide to just fire one to see what happens.

·
Registered
319 Posts
So here we have a demonstration of a small pistol MAGNUM primer and most of us use a small pistol primer which has less of a ignition and also shot during daylight conditions which reduces the flame and whatever else that comes from the muzzle. I will stick with what i wrote and it works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A standard primer looks the same.

For anyone who wants to just fire off a primer, be safe. Do it outside, and if you are going to put a towel in front of it don't use the significant others favorite one.

FWIW, a little over 40 years ago when I started reloading, my dad did this test for me in the back yard to impress on me that primers can be dangerous, so pay attention, and never just crank on the handle if you feel what you think is too much resistance when seating a primer.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yes as does a small rifle primer as i use them when shooting major load in my Czeckmate. No, the (3) primers are totally different, way different in the ignition required to burn the powder of the pistol. Put all 3 on the ground, on a flat concrete surface and hit each with a hammer, you will see a much larger flash it the small rifle, magnum and small pistol. There are also large pistol primers for most .45 and large rifle etc. It depends on the ignition to the powder in the case, the more powder the different primer required. Yest all 3 can be used but the burn rate is totally different etc. Also if you use a dillon press, to seat the primer correctly it requires a gentle but firm push to seat it. If there is a resistance remove the case and look to see if the old primer was removed, if yes put case back and push harder, or throw case away and move on. Note when primer is being seated there is NO powder in the case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes as does a small rifle primer as i use them when shooting major load in my Czeckmate. No, the (3) primers are totally different, way different in the ignition required to burn the powder of the pistol. Put all 3 on the ground, on a flat concrete surface and hit each with a hammer, you will see a much larger flash it the small rifle, magnum and small pistol. There are also large pistol primers for most .45 and large rifle etc. It depends on the ignition to the powder in the case, the more powder the different primer required. Yest all 3 can be used but the burn rate is totally different etc. Also if you use a dillon press, to seat the primer correctly it requires a gentle but firm push to seat it. If there is a resistance remove the case and look to see if the old primer was removed, if yes put case back and push harder, or throw case away and move on. Note when primer is being seated there is NO powder in the case.
Point I was making is don't fire just a primer into a towel, as you advised, and expect just a puff of smoke. There are those out there that don't know better and might try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts