Education Needed

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by Blackhawk83, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Blackhawk83

Blackhawk83 New Member

Who can tell me more about the SA super tuned 1911's.

2. Winds

Winds Supporting Member Supporter

What do you want to know?

3. Blackhawk83

Blackhawk83 New Member

What years were guns produced?
    About how many were manufactured?
    Were these a true custom shop gun?
    What is current value on these pistols?
    Is there any way to determine based on S/N when my gun was produced?

These are the initial questions that come to mind but I am interested in any info available. SA has been of no assitance to me in my quest for knowledge.

4. Balota

Balota Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm sure there are 1911 enthusiasts here who could provide useful information. Apparently the Super-Tuned series was available for a few years just before they came out with the Loaded series to compete with Kimber. There is a dedicated 1911 forum (http://forums.1911forum.com) where I found this excerpt from an old SA catalog, circa 1997-98. Following is shamelessly copied from that forum for your reference...

"The Super Tuned 1911-A1 was specifically designed by our Custom Shop to assure reliable function, increased accuracy, and superior handling. Life-saving reliability exemplifies this new breed of Super Tuned pistols! Each Super Tuned model comes with a tuned and polished extractor, a throated barrel and polished feed ramp, fixed low-mount premium Novak rear sight and a dovetailed ramp front sight. Each Super Tuned pistol is fitted with custom combat accessories such as a Custom Combat match grade trigger, S&A beavertail grip safety and a King's extended thumb safety. The front strap is machine checkered at 20 lines per inch for a secure grip. Our gunsmiths also bevel and radius all the edges."

From what I can tell in pictures and a brief Google search, these appear to be somewhat compact 1911's suitable for concealed carry. Ported barrel plus a number of pretty high end upgrades built into the gun. I have no idea on production numbers or prices.

There is also a related forum to this one, FirearmsTalkForum, with a large and vocal population that may be able to help you further.