Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm definitely not a newbie however accidents do happen. There's been a few occasions where the slide had overpowered my grip and surprised me slamming home on an empty magazine well. Just curious the thoughts on this topic. Obviously the gun is still going to fire and I do have the feeling that if it takes is to drop the slide one time and you destroy your gun well it's obviously not a fine piece of machinery and it should have been released into a shooter's hands. However I'm still curious if there any experienced gunsmiths or experiences with damaging their own pistol in this situation.?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a bit of a pain in my chest after hearing the slide slam home just a week after purchasing my new 1911.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
How far back did you have it when it slipped,they don't usually lock open until they're most of the way back? Are talking about this happening while trying to eject a live round?? Just making sure I'm understanding what you're talking about.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no I was just trying to lock it back with the magazine out just to inspect in clean and check the rails to make sure they had to fish in Greece on them. And it slipped out of my hand while trying to clear the gun that was nothing in it I was just doing a safety precautions checking in to make sure it was clear but I knew it was clear but you know the old saying that gun is always load it

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A personal friend who is a professional wrote me back this morning and explained that as long as the hammer didn't fall to half cock it should not have damaged the trigger pull. I don't make a habit of doing this often but it was a little upsetting I guess it was the first time the gun was manhandled

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
I know how you feel,the first time I tried cocking my Desert Eagle it slipped out of my hand,that slide had a stiff spring in it. I'm still awful cautious when pulling it back especially if it's got a loaded magazine in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts