Do Olympic archers keep a crossbow on the nightstand?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by pokute, Jul 21, 2015.

1. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

I told somebody the other day that I shot pistols competitively for sport. They immediately got all weird and started asking me questions like: "Do you keep a gun by the bed? Do you keep loaded guns around the house?".

I asked them: "If I said I was an Olympic archer they would ask me if I kept a crossbow by the bed?".

Unlike many of you, I do not keep loaded guns around the house. And except for when I'm "on the line" at the range, I only ever have a loaded gun with me when I am hiking or prospecting in the desert (there are meth cooks, wild dogs, and very rarely wild animals that see a lone hiker as prey).

Until recently, if I met someone who seemed to think that guns were just plain "evil", and "made for one purpose only", I would all but twist their arm to get them to the range. In every case, once they fired a gun, they became much more understanding and tolerant about the "idea" of guns.

Recently however, people have started to panic and back away, apparently feeling that the "evil", etc., was contagious and communicable to humans.

I'm more than a little miffed at people on both sides of the issue who have contributed to things degenerating to this point. We need to be a little more circumspect about who we let speak on our behalf as gun owners. I don't believe that waving the constitution around, and shouting Molon Labe is doing us any good. Being divisive and inflammatory is going to backfire.

And the gun industry is no longer run by a cadre of gun bugs. Most of our suppliers have been gobbled up by huge multinationals... While they wave flags and shout Molon Labe in their ads, they are really laughing at us... Anyone who doubts that just needs to look at the ads touting the wonders of the Grip Zone.

Politicians may be universally mendacious, but they are rarely stupid: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6NfRMv-4OY"]but they are rarely stupid[/ame] One day they are going to get tired of using the gun issue as a convenient hot potato, and we're going to wake up to a perfectly reasonable ban on lead based on sound health considerations. We'll all be effectively disarmed without anyone saying one word about guns.

Let's try not to rush that day along. I've got 800 pounds of lead in my garage that I'm very eager to put downrange. Remember, we as gun owners are the ones who have something to lose. It's a fool's wager.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. pokute

Bump! Illustrative video added.

3. Willieboy

Willieboy Angry Old White Guy

I have a similar issue with my pool cue. Pool has been a part of my life since I was just a kid. I have a beautiful cue I had made about 45 years ago. My problem is, because I have my own cue, everyone thinks I'm a "hustler" (I hate that word) and every time I just want to relax and shoot a few racks for fun and practice, I am approached by some wannabe Fast Eddie Felsons challenging me. I've I walked into a bowling alley with my own bowling ball, would I be subject to the same kind of aggressive challenges?

4. pokute

I think the rental shoes would keep them away.