Difference Between a Clip and a Magazine

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory Photos' started by ThreeTango, May 8, 2016.

1. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Hickok 45 explains the difference and there is a difference.
    To some it may be apples and oranges but when I meet someone and we talk pistols or rifles I feel more like they have some knowledge about guns when they use the correct term.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoSNHe413rY[/ame]

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I noticed 1 goof up,at about 3:44 he said what's this and held up a magazine,then said it's a Glock clip and that there was no magazine in it,then showed where the magazine went,then said as far as he knew there was no clip associated with a Glock. From then on he called it a magazine.

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

MAGAZINE vs CLIP:

A magazine holds shells under spring pressure in preparation for feeding into the firearm’s chamber. Examples include box, tubular, drum and rotary magazines. Some are fixed to the firearm while others are removable.

A cartridge “clip” has no spring and does not feed shells directly into the chamber. Rather, clips hold cartridges in the correct sequence for “charging” a specific firearm’s magazine. Stripper clips allow rounds to be “stripped” into the magazine. Other types are fed along with the shells into the magazine — the M1 Garand operates in this fashion. Once all rounds have been fired, the clip is ejected or otherwise released from the firearm.

In essence, clips feed magazines. Magazines feed firearms.

4. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

----------

Attached Files:

5. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Shooter,
    I DO know the difference. I learned the difference when I got a M1 Garand back in the late 90s. However, I have never heard mags and clips differentiated with such clarity and eloquence. From now on, when I explain the difference, I'll be quoting you! Thanks!