Detonics Combat Master Pro

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by pokute, Apr 28, 2015.

1. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Sid Woodcock, the genius behind Detonics, was a true nutjob. With credentials including Navy OSS, CIA, combat instructor for the SEALS, and an 8th degree black belt in Ninjutsu (yes, really!), Sid set out to make the ultimate combat handgun.

The result may have been something less than what Sid planned, but the Detonics Combat Master was a beefy little compact 1911 that could handle serious loads. The only real problem with the gun was that the magazines were made of dead-soft stainless steel - They could be bent into pretzels with the bare hands. Fortunately, it takes standard compact 1911 magazines just fine.

My friend Ian met Sid Woodcock sometime in the 80's, and bought a Combat Master Pro from him. Sid sold him a feed/reliability package that doubled the price of the gun, but the work order probably doubles the collector value of the gun, so no harm done.

Ian was a little unhappy with the way the gun shot high, and it had a not very nice and very heavy trigger. He asked me to work some magic on it. I recut the hammer notch and sear nose and installed a #5 link. Unfortunately the springs in the gun are all way over-rated, so I'm going to have to spend half a day some time soon getting the springs down to reasonable levels. It's a major task because the sear spring is cut down from a standard 1911 sear spring, and bent in a strange way.

Anyway, here's the gun, exploded and completed (I refinished it very gently, it had 30 years of handling boogers on it - Sharp-eyed sods will notice what I noticed when I looked at the pic, that the satin finish on the slide misses either edge adjacent to the serrations - I fixed that before handing the gun back to Ian):

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. 230grains

230grains New Member

Hey, sorry for the spam. But I noticed you're pretty active on here and maybe could help me out. I just got an XDM 45 4.5, should I replace the guide rod and spring with a Wolff solid guide rod and an 18# Wolff spring? Or should I go with Don's solid guide rod and the Wolff 18# spring

3. pokute

I know absolutely nothing about the XD's, sorry. In general, the heavier the guide-rod, the better.

4. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Will the gun not function with the original equipment? Why do you want to change it?

5. pokute

Aw, come on... Half the fun in owning a gun is pimping it! If I had a tuppergun, I'd paint it safety orange and stencil biohazard symbols all over it! Maybe I'll do that with my Citadel Compact!

6. Willieboy

Willieboy Angry Old White Guy

Despite the short sight radius on the Detonics, I've always loved that gun. The old ASP, based on the S&W 9mm was another favorite.