Springfield Armory Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CZ range of pistols is vast. last time i checked they manufacture as many as 30 different models in several calibers. Springfield Armoury manufacture and also purchase many pistol models from overseas manufacturers and sell them as their own, yet few who own these overseas models are not even aware they are made in Croatia. So much is written here, discussed, questioned about various pistol from SA, yet so little about the great range of CZ pistols, why?
I have owned an XD model not for over 18 months, shot it on a very regular basis and all i can fault (which i changed over 4 weeks after purchase) is the trigger assembly. So exactly if someone knows just how many pistol models does Springfield Armory actually manufacture in America?

·
480 Posts
CZ does make legendary pistols. They can be challenging to acquire in some parts of the USA. (Might be more available in big cities) The 75B is my favorite CZ. I am not convinced that CZ does polymer pistols any better than HS/Springfield or Glock, but as big, SWEET-shooting all metal pistols go, CZ rocks!

Cajun Gunworks makes numerous upgraded components that make a CZ even sweeter.

Of course the XD and Hellcat lines are made for Springfield in Croatia by HS Produkt, but I THINK Springfield makes their extensive 1911 lines in the USA.

Springfield does SERVICE (not produce) the XD line in the USA. I know that from personal experience.

·
480 Posts
I wish Springfield still imported CZ clones. Given patent loopholes, some companies make CZ 75 clones that are quite impressive.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting comment regarding service. If i may ask what is there to survive on any pistol a person acquires? It's not a car or plane. Of the CZ or STI pistols, XD etc or other that i have purchased over many years one i collect it that is it. Take the CZ SP01 Shadow, as at this moment i own 3 of them. In several years i have changed out the hammer spring, recoil spring grips, trigger spring etc and i am no gunsmith.Pistols parts are simple to change over, as was the trigger assembly on my XD. In fact there is no part of any CZ i have owned that i could not fix, not that they required fixing i just wanted to change out parts. The only pistol i refused to fix was a Beretta 92 FS, the workings are scary. The easiest pistol to change out parts on is the STI, my favorite race gun. Put many tens of thousands of rounds through it and it never fails, but i have broken a link pin in it and replaced i think every moving part over very many years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish Springfield still imported CZ clones. Given patent loopholes, some companies make CZ 75 clones that are quite impressive.
There are two pistols that are CZ but carry the name of Tanfoglio and Sphinx. The Swiss Sphinx cost a fortune and is identical to the SP01, possibly a little better quality. The Tanfoglio Stock series has even interchangeable magazines with the CZ.

·
480 Posts
Interesting comment regarding service. If i may ask what is there to survive on any pistol a person acquires? It's not a car or plane. Of the CZ or STI pistols, XD etc or other that i have purchased over many years one i collect it that is it. Take the CZ SP01 Shadow, as at this moment i own 3 of them. In several years i have changed out the hammer spring, recoil spring grips, trigger spring etc and i am no gunsmith.Pistols parts are simple to change over, as was the trigger assembly on my XD. In fact there is no part of any CZ i have owned that i could not fix, not that they required fixing i just wanted to change out parts. The only pistol i refused to fix was a Beretta 92 FS, the workings are scary. The easiest pistol to change out parts on is the STI, my favorite race gun. Put many tens of thousands of rounds through it and it never fails, but i have broken a link pin in it and replaced i think every moving part over very many years.
Voltaire, having read many of your posts over the years, I value your thoughts and I am guessing that I am slightly less than you in both years and experience. :)

1. Please post a pic of your STI. WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT!

2. While some people have had different experiences, my limited experience with Springfield service/repairs has been good. I sent one XD to them because the ambi mag release was loose. They paid shipping and fixed it. My only other experience with Springfield support is in process. There is a thread on this forum about it.

3. My best support experience is with Glock. Pasted here is a post I made on the Glock forum a few years ago.

On August 8, 2018, I made the 120-mile voyage to the Glock factory in Smyrna, GA.

The security was impressive, armored, and very polite. The guard put a coil lock on my Glock and asked me to leave all other weapons in my car when I entered the building. CC was strictly prohibited.

The staff was extremely professional and polite. After ringing an intercom doorbell, I was buzzed into a waiting area that was approximately 25 x 25 feet. There were chairs all around the walls and a giant TV playing Glock commercials and infomercials. Unfortunately, this was the only room to which I was given access.

Seconds after I was buzzed into that room, an armorer entered, introduced himself, and asked what he could do for me. I told him my Glock 22 is 21 years old, is showing significant wear, that I wanted it checked for safety and would like a new recoil spring and anything else the armorer felt was necessary.

The armorer examined it quickly, then said it looked like I had used it a lot and taken good care of it. Then he smiled and said, “Give me an hour or so. You can wait here or leave and come back.” Hungry, I decided to seek food. The security guard gave me directions to a good BBQ place nearby.

An hour or so later, I returned from the restaurant, went through security again, and returned to the nice little waiting room. I waited less than 5 minutes before the armorer entered the room, handed me my cable-locked Glock, and explained the work he had done. He also gave me a printed invoice. I was charged absolutely nothing, and the following things were replaced on my 21-year-old Glock:
1. Connector
2. Extractor
3. Spring Loaded Bearing
4. Extractor depressor plunger
5. Extractor depressor plunger spring
6. Firing pin
7. Spacer sleeve
8. Firing Pin spring
9. Firing Pin spring cup
10. Firing Pin Channel liner
11. Firing Pin safety
12. Firing Pin safety spring
13. Locking Block
14. Locking Block pin
15. Recoil Spring
16. Sight Rear
17. Sight Front
18. Slide Lock
19. Slide Lock Spring
20. Slide Stop Lever
21. Trigger housing with Ejector
22. Trigger Spring
23. Trigger with Trigger Bar
24. New mag

All for FREE! I am enormously impressed! If more businesses did business like Glock, this world would be a much better place!

For CC I am partial to the Springfield XD family of pistols, and Springfield’s customer service is good. However, after my experience at the Glock factory today, my already high respect for Glock has increased exponentially.

END OF QUOTED POST

4. I am not sure what you mean by your comment, " If i may ask what is there to survive on any pistol a person acquires? It's not a car or plane."

5. If I appeared to disparage CZ, please forgive me. That was not my intent. Please re-read what I said. I think the 75 is a true jewel. Not sure CZ's polymer offerings are any better than Springfield/HS or Glock.

6. Totally agree with you about the complexity of a 92 FS and would add that the S&W M&P line is harder to work on than a Glock or XD.

God bless you, fellow 2A supporter!

·
480 Posts
There are two pistols that are CZ but carry the name of Tanfoglio and Sphinx. The Swiss Sphinx cost a fortune and is identical to the SP01, possibly a little better quality. The Tanfoglio Stock series has even interchangeable magazines with the CZ.
Are the Tanfoglio and Sphinx pistols made by CZ, or are they clones? I always thought they were clones.

If I ever get rich, I will buy a Sphinx.

Canik also makes great CZ clones! I have a Cajunized C100 that both me and a range buddy like as much as his all original CZ 75B Compact.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RevV, thanks for your post. A couple of things and i can only make a suggestion, NEVER ever by a Sphinx, they cost new almost 3 time what a CZ SP01 cost and having used a Sphinx once they are identical and there is no difference in performance or quality. I suggest buying a CZ Shadow 2, almost a perfect firearm, witl group 2" at 50 yards and 4" at some 75 yards. STI. The top one is my STI, then my Czeckmate, barrels thickness. Don't think i am that old, have only been shooting competition for 32 years, love IPSC.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are the Tanfoglio and Sphinx pistols made by CZ, or are they clones? I always thought they were clones.

If I ever get rich, I will buy a Sphinx.

Canik also makes great CZ clones! I have a Cajunized C100 that both me and a range buddy like as much as his all original CZ 75B Compact.
Tanfoglio is made in Italy and they produced some of the best shoguns and then ventured in to pistol. They make quite a range of pistols for all division and i dislike them for no reason other than i dislike them. Actually their pistols Stock 3 and race gun are world class. The Sphinx is made in Switzerland and they have no affiliation to CZ, they make the pistols as there is no patent protection and that is why Tangolio also produce their pistol. The world champion (French national) in IPSC holds the world's TOP placing using Tanfoglio pistols, both in Open (5 years in a row) and then 3 years ago won Production division twice i think. In fact he wins matches no matter what world champion he faces. Stay safe.

·
480 Posts
RevV, thanks for your post. A couple of things and i can only make a suggestion, NEVER ever by a Sphinx, they cost new almost 3 time what a CZ SP01 cost and having used a Sphinx once they are identical and there is no difference in performance or quality. I suggest buying a CZ Shadow 2, almost a perfect firearm, witl group 2" at 50 yards and 4" at some 75 yards. STI. The top one is my STI, then my Czeckmate, barrels thickness. Don't think i am that old, have only been shooting competition for 32 years, love IPSC.

WOW! Beautiful!

Thanks for the Sphinx tip and Shadow 2 tips.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW! Beautiful!

Thanks for the Sphinx tip and Shadow 2 tips.
There is also an upmarket Shadow 2 Orange. All parts of this pistol are hand fitted at the factory etc and cost even more. As i wrote some place it is seldom the pistol, it is the person holding the pistol that wins the prize. I still prefer the shadow SP01 original, lighter and almost as good and all it takes is to change out a few parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts