Customer service at Springfield Armory

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by glennd, Jul 30, 2015.

1. glennd

glennd New Member

Hello to everyone, this is my first thread. I called SA to attempt purchasing a modified slide stop for my SA loaded target model .45. This purchase was necessitated because I Installed a Crimson Trace grip mounted laser on the pistol. The shaft of the slide stop that goes through the frame partially obstructs the laser beam. The tech I spoke with was well aware of what I spoke. The only solution offered was to ship the gun to them and they would mount a modified slide stop.
    Not wanting to settle for that I called Wilson Combat. Less than 5 minutes after I explained what I wanted a WC slide was on its way to the shop for the necessary modification (cutting the shaft flush with the frame) and then to be shipped to me. Any guesses who I call next time I need help?

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

The SA Custom Shop needs to get a clue. As for the stop, the cool solution would have been to mill a groove for the laser to shine through. I will forgo taking this opportunity to say what I think of lasers.

3. glennd

glennd New Member

I understand why a lot of shooters disdain lasers. May I present an actual scenario that will solidly justify a laser in some situations. My daughter-in-laws father recently visited with us from his native country of Brazil. He was exposed to shooting sports when he was young, but then the "guns" were taken away. He is now 67 and more than 3/4 blind. My 9mm ported barrel S&W, M&P with a laser allowed this gentleman a pleasure he could never have experienced with open sights. To see a 67 year old jump for joy like 5 year old was worth much more than I paid for the gun/laser combined! Thanks for the help getting this thread up. I am working on an IPad and the controls are not standard!

Sloggins55 likes this.
  4. glennd

glennd New Member

BTW He hit the target better than woman who was trying qualify for CCW.

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I love my lasers. Just saying. :D

6. pokute

I thought people only used lasers to look cool when they enter a smoke and flame factory. Good to hear that they serve a useful purpose for folks with eyesight just a wee bit worse than mine :eek:

Related issue - What's up with that thing that started a few years ago with holding a handheld flashlight right under your ear? I also notice that's it's typically the strong hand holding the flashlight...

jimkahler likes this.
  7. glennd

glennd New Member

I remember the flashlight position you cite. Now a days"they" teach holding the flashlight in your weak side hand (possibly set strobe) in front of you and use that forearm to brace your gun holding forearm on top of the weak side arm. Seems to me if the bad guy fires at the light he will hit you center mass!

jimkahler likes this.
  8. pokute

Dogs are much better at the job than we are.

9. flechero

flechero New Member

a few strokes with a file and your slide stop pin will not obscure the laser. It's a 30 second job. A few minutes if you remove enough to require further beveling.

jimkahler likes this.
  10. markmc99

markmc99 Do or Not There is No Try

My wife has what I think they call mono vision. She wears contacts and one is set for close up and the other eye is set for far vision. You can imagine the issues that presents on the range or in a gun fight. She can either focus on the target or the sights, not both. The laser helps her out shoot me. God help anyone if she draws her weapon. Just a little justification.

11. wchancey

wchancey New Member

May I please chime in about lasers , I am 65 years old and starting to get cataracts and my sight is a little dim at times. One of the things that I really love is target shooting and the use of lasers on some of my guns is helping me to extend that pleasure.
    So most of the favorite pistols wear Crimson Trace Lasers and with their help I can hit anything I aim at. So don't ever think that someone using a laser is just trying to be cool , they really do have a use.

12. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Not a laser fan but you certainly provide a use of them that even most laser haters would appreciate! Beautiful story.

jimkahler likes this.
  13. Teddybear

Teddybear Member

I'm right there with you. My 64 year old eyes are not what they were when I was 18 especially in lower light. I wish it wasn't that way but it is. I use lasers and they help.

jimkahler likes this.
  14. ca survivor

ca survivor Member

did this woman had a laser on her gun ?

jimkahler likes this.