Springfield Armory Forums banner

Concealed Carry Permits...

10K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  dondavis3 
#1 ·
So, who here has a state issued permit to carry a concealed firearm...

And what kind of hoops do you have to jump through to get one...are you finger printed...asked to show firearm proficiency...do classroom time ?!

Let's talk about the rules of your state...

See less See more
#2 ·
Pennsylvania:

In Pennsylvania, a LTCF ( License to Carry a Firearm ) is required by the state.

Once the citizen passes a background check by the local PD / Sheriff, the background check card and the LTCF form is taken to the county seat...in Montgomery county, it is the Norristown Court House...where the form is reviewed and two pictures are taken... one for the license and one for the file.

The permit is good for 5 years and the laminated card with photo is assembled at the county seat for $50...cheaper paper versions are available.

There is no requirement for classroom or proficiency training...as it is a shall issue state.

Open carry is allowed without a permit...but as soon as you get into a vehicle without one, the firearm must be unloaded and secured away from the driver.

#3 ·
State of Ohio:

1. You must attend a 12 hour class (10 hours classroom, and 2 hours live fire)

2. Once you get certificate from above, you take it to the local Sheriff's Office and get fingerprinted and apply for your permit.

3. Once approved you will receive your permit within 45 days (mailed tonyiur residence )

Ohio is also a shall issue state :)

Open carry is legal in the State of Ohio without a permit

#4 ·
Michigan is pretty much the same as Ohio with the exception of number of hours in the classroom and firing line. My NRA course was 8 hours classroom and luckily the other guys I was with were all experienced shooters so we were on and off with 50 rounds in 20 minutes. I got a call from the Sheriff's office this morning to validate an item and tell me it's in the mail today. :) Total time will be 4.5 wks.

#5 ·
I've got 1 here in Indiana. We have 2 different permits here,1 just for target shooting and hunting and 1 for personal protection. Basically all you have to do is go to the local PD/Sheriff and fill out the form.They make an appointment for finger prints,do that and it's all sent in and the State Police run a background check.If you pass they mail it to you.Prices very depending on kind and time of permits (we have 4 year and lifetime permits).

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/HANDGUN_LICENSING_FEES_updated_4_1_13.pdf

#7 ·
ok NY here. first you take a class. I think it's 8 hours. then you have to get finger printed. and take all that and the application. which requires 3 references and submit it. then you go to your local police station for an interview. then you eventually get called for a interview with the county. this whole process takes, at the time I got mine, probably 10 years ago took 6-12 months.
you cant even buy a handgun without a carry.permit.

#8 ·
I too am from Michigan and YES 8 hours class time,,,finger printed,,background check,,,and had to go in front of the gun board. Ive had mine for I'm thinking 7 years now,,renewed after 5 years after a small fee and Q&A...so yes I have my CPL and I am a daily carrier,,,

#10 ·
In NC

A 8 hr. class with proficiency test.
Fingerprinting, $90 fee for application, $10 fee mental health check.
Sheriff's blessing or curse.
Valid for 5 years.

Open carry is legal here and becoming more and more common.

#11 · (Edited)
Louisiana---just got pistols a few months ago and been practicing at range, wanna get CCW (Concealed Carry Permit) but the lil wife dosen't see why since we have never needed a weapon before in our 50+ years. But I'm moving forward with class (4hr "NRA Basic Pistol Course Goals" and 3 hr range time,,,$125, Also finger printer and photo...good for 5yrs Or you can get a lifetime for $500), hopefully I can ease her into accepting weapons as a self defense tool IF EVER NEEDED. I'm away occasionally from home so This IS MY GOAL for the next few months. Open carry is legal in La but I really don't understand that....... Wish me luck...

#12 · (Edited)
ACHP (Alaska concealed handgun permit)
In Alaska, you may carry concealed or open without a permit or registration.
If you wish to carry concealed out side of Alaska you may apply for a CCW with these regs applying to you: http://dps.alaska.gov/statewide/PermitsLicensing/docs/achp/ACHP Statutes and Regs.pdf
this is a PDF of the regs.

Note these particular portions as these give the tenor of the law up here

AS 18.65.770. Permits, applications, and other materials not public records.
Applications, permits, and renewals are not public records under AS 40.25.110* ‐*40.25.125 and may
only be used forlaw enforcement purposes.

AS 18.65.775. Regulations;reciprocity agreements.
(a) The department shall adopt regulations to implement AS 18.65.700* ‐*18.65.790. This section does
not delegate to the department the authority to regulate or restrict the issuing of permits beyond
those provisions contained in AS 18.65.700*‐*18.65.790.
(b) The department shall enter into reciprocity agreements with other states that have the legal
authority to enter into such agreements so that permittees may carry concealed handguns in those
otherstates.

AS 18.65.778. Municipal preemption.
A municipality may not restrict the carrying of a concealed handgun by permit under AS 18.65.700* ‐*

AS 18.65.780. Prohibition of possession of concealed handguns.[Repealed, Sec. 15 ch 94 SLA 2000].
Repealed or Renumbered

#14 ·
NY 2nd Amendment

IN NY if you can't prove that you carry a lot of money daily or your life is in danger, forget a full carry.
Second best bet is a sportsman carry. So if you get mugged hunting or to and from the range you should be fine.
If you want to go to the mall, movies or any place you might possibly get mugged, tough.
Quite a few different municipalities. It took me 4 months to get my sportsman carry.

#15 ·
In Florida you have to do classroom time, shoot on the range to show you aren't a bumbling fool with no safety or shooting knowledge, get fingerprinted and have a background check. There's a wait right now to get your info processed.... I need to send my stuff in. I have all but the finger prints and background check done. I'll do it when I get back home from working in NY.

#17 ·
As you all know, Illinois is just getting it's concealed carry program up and running. 16 hours of training is required, and I just finished the first 8 hours today, which is the basic NRA class. The second 8 hour curriculum has not been approved by the State Police, so no one knows what it will consist of. Finger printing will be required at some point, and permit applications will accepted after Jan 1, 2014. The State Police will have 90 days after the receiving the application to approve or deny it. As of right now, there is no reciprocity with any other state written into the law.

That all said, we're looking at another 4 months or better before being allowed by the State of Illinois to exercise out 2nd Amendment rights.

#18 ·
As you all know, Illinois is just getting it's concealed carry program up and running. 16 hours of training is required, and I just finished the first 8 hours today, which is the basic NRA class. The second 8 hour curriculum has not been approved by the State Police, so no one knows what it will consist of. Finger printing will be required at some point, and permit applications will accepted after Jan 1, 2014. The State Police will have 90 days after the receiving the application to approve or deny it. As of right now, there is no reciprocity with any other state written into the law.

That all said, we're looking at another 4 months or better before being allowed by the State of Illinois to exercise out 2nd Amendment rights.
Call me the PESSIMIST but I see bureaucratic shuffling to lengthen the time before implementing this!

#20 ·
In Florida you have to do classroom time, shoot on the range to show you aren't a bumbling fool with no safety or shooting knowledge, get fingerprinted and have a background check. There's a wait right now to get your info processed.... I need to send my stuff in. I have all but the finger prints and background check done. I'll do it when I get back home from working in NY.

Currently, has to be renewed every 7 years...

#21 ·
IN NY if you can't prove that you carry a lot of money daily or your life is in danger, forget a full carry.
Second best bet is a sportsman carry. So if you get mugged hunting or to and from the range you should be fine.
If you want to go to the mall, movies or any place you might possibly get mugged, tough.
Quite a few different municipalities. It took me 4 months to get my sportsman carry.
ok so technically this is true and not true. carrying other then hunting or going target shooting with a hunting and target pistol permit is not illegal you can not be arrested if you are found to be carrying. in theory if you ate found with a gun on you and you can't talk your way out of it. the only thing if a cop chooses they can do is tell the licence department and in theory could revoke the permit.

in ny we are not required to disclose if we have a gun on us. and in my opinion I would not volunteer the info. unless you are asked by a cop then you have to.

#22 ·
Call me the PESSIMIST but I see bureaucratic shuffling to lengthen the time before implementing this!
That is true. Not only that, but the $$$$$$$$$$$ involved. The first 8 hour segment was $125. The second segment probably wont be any less, but no fee has been set yet. Then there is the $70 fee for the finger printing, and the $150 fee for the CC permit its self.

When the dust settles on this thing, I expect to be out around $500.

#24 ·

It's pretty pathetic to have to go through all this headache to get back what shouldn't have been taken away in the first place.:mad::mad:

#25 ·
Hi Wooze,
I am not a lawyer, but I would say if you are carrying when you are not supposed to carry, that would be illegal. If you are reported to the department that issued your license and they pull it. Say goodbye to your license.
well in my case it's not an issue because I don't have the hunting target permit. but I do encourage those that may, to look into the issue. the law is on the nys police web site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.