Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am a “big guy” or “husky” and IWB carry is extremely uncomfortable and difficult. I’ve tried a couple different holsters all with the same result.
I am thinking about going OWB carry with a t-shirt or button up shirt untucked. Do any other “big guys” do this? I’m currently looking at the alien gear ShapeShift OWB holster. I should add that I’m 6’3” and 325lbs. So yes I have a gut.... I also live in upstate NY
Thanks in advance for any input & advise!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois.
I don't know what you want to carry,but is pocket carry an option??
I can carry a Smith&Wesson model 36 with no issues.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Hand tool

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello all,
I am a “big guy” or “husky” and IWB carry is extremely uncomfortable and difficult. I’ve tried a couple different holsters all with the same result.
I am thinking about going OWB carry with a t-shirt or button up shirt untucked. Do any other “big guys” do this? I’m currently looking at the alien gear ShapeShift OWB holster. I should add that I’m 6’3” and 325lbs. So yes I have a gut.... I also live in upstate NY
I am carrying aSpringfield XD-s 9mm 3.3”

·
Registered
21 Posts
From another big boy.......I'm not sure what gun you are trying to carry or what holsters you've already tried but the AG holsters is a good place to start.

Although I don't have the Shape Shifter holster system I do have their Cloak Tuck 3.5 holsters for a couple of my guns.
One is a compact size DA/SA Sig Sauer and also a micro sized striker fired gun. I used to carry the Glock G26 in the same holsters.

I usually carry in the IWB 3-3:30 position.

What are the problems you are having? PM me if you like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a big feller myself, I recently bought a Bluestar holsters brand owb for my M&P Shield Ez 9mm and I love it! I can't feel it like others I've tried and from ordering it, to my front door took 10 days.

·
Registered
134 Posts
No matter the Holster Brand or if you carry IWB OR OWB concealed or open carry you should consider a Holster with some type of retention lock to prevent some thug from doing a Snatch & Grab of your firearm. Some form of retention will give you time to react if some thug tries to snatch your firearm from you. I most cases if someone tries to snatch your firearm and continues to struggle with you deadly force is the right reaction in most cases.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,
I personally use a Q-series minimalist holster in the SOB position (6 o'clock) for a Hellcat. I feel compelled to point out that many don't like and recommend against carrying SOB, but I find for me SOB is safer, more comfortable, more concealable and more accessible than appendix (i.e. pointing the barrel right at your private parts/femoral artery...ugh), especially for a larger person. Your experience and opinion may vary, and I can sure respect that...everyone should do what works best for his/her (those are the only viable pronouns in my opinion) self.

In any IWB holster, the really important things are complete trigger area cover, positive retention, and a firm belt clip(s). Practice a clean draw with weapon unloaded until perfected, and I always remove the holster to replace the weapon. Get a good gun belt, too, as it makes a huge difference in both comfort and function.

I use the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, too, for pocket carry when that is the best (or only) alternative, but it isn't a very quick draw, in my opinion. Just my $0.02.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts