Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Civilian Marksmanship Program May Soon Offer Vintage M1911A1 Pistols...

Firearm collectors may soon be able to get their hands on vintage 1911 pistols through the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP), thanks to an amendment to the 2016 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). Sponsored by US Representative Mike Rogers (R-Alabama), the amendment would allow the US Army to transfer its stock of 100,000 surplus M1911A1 handguns to the CMP, allowing the firearms to be inspected, processed, and eventually prepared for sale through the program. According to AL.com, the NDAA recently passed out of the House Armed Services Committee and will be up for consideration by the rest of the House later this month.

“As a gun owner and strong believer in the Second Amendment, my proposal is a common-sense approach to eliminating an unnecessary cost to the Federal government while allowing the very capable CMP to handle the sale of these vintage firearms that otherwise would just sit in storage,†Rogers said in a press release. “This amendment is a win—win for the taxpayer. I was pleased the amendment passed the committee and appreciate the support my colleagues on this proposal.â€

The M1911 is one of the most revered firearms in the history of the US military. It was originally designed by legendary gun maker John Browning and pressed into service in 1911. Despite the US Army replacing it with the Beretta M9 as the service’s standard sidearm in 1986, the 1911 remains in service with several branches of the military in various updated forms.

Of the surplus stock currently being held in storage, around 8,300 pistols have been sold to law enforcement or transferred to foreign countries. The remainder cost about $2 each to keep in storage, costing taxpayers roughly $200,000 each year in upkeep.

“This sensible change will save the taxpayers millions over the years to come, as well as aid a great organization that serves the public,†said Congressman Steve Russell (R-OK), who also supported the amendment, in a press release.

As a federally-chartered non-profit organization, the CMP is allowed to sell surplus military firearms, ammunition, and parts to its members. In order to purchase a firearm through the program, the buyer must be a US citizen and current member of a CMP-affiliated organization, show proof of participation in marksmanship activity, and be legally eligible to purchase a gun. Among the program’s most popular offerings are the M1 Garand rifle and M1 carbine, but the CMP also sells a number of other rifles and air guns.



Sincere as a $5 funeral
1,620 Posts
That should work out to about 20 guns for every competitive shooter in the country. And when you whittle it down to CMP affiliates, it probably jumps to about 100 per.

3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the list of eligibility requirements needed to obtain a firearm via the Civilian Marksmanship Program.


By law, the CMP can sell surplus military firearms, ammunition, parts and other items only to members of CMP affiliated clubs who are also U.S. citizens, over 18 years of age and who are legally eligible to purchase a firearm.


You must provide a copy of a U.S. birth certificate, passport, proof of naturalization, or any official government document that shows birth in the U.S. or states citizenship as U.S.


You must provide proof of age. Usually proof of citizenship also provides proof of age. In those cases where it may not, a driver’s license is sufficient.


You must provide a copy of your current membership card or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated organizations located in many parts of the country. CMP Club Member Certification Form- If your CMP affiliated club does not issue individual membership cards, please have the club fill out the CMP Club Member Certification Form and return it with your order.

Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our Club Search web page at http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch.

If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing CMP Customer Service. We will find one for you. In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans’ organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc. The Garand Collector’s Association is a CMP Affiliated Club. You can download a Garand Collector’s Association Application Form.

Note: Club membership IS required for purchase of rifles, parts, and ammunition.

Club membership is NOT required for instructional publications or videos or CMP memorabilia.

3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

◾Current or past military service.
◾Current or past law enforcement service
◾Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
◾Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
◾Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status. – Concealed Carry License.
◾Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. – FFL or C&R license.
◾Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
◾Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP.

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages. NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.


The information you supply on your application will be submitted by the CMP to the FBI National Instant Criminal Check System (NICS) to verify you are not prohibited by Federal, State or Local law from acquiring or possessing a rifle. Your signature on the Purchaser Certification portion of the purchase application authorizes the CMP to initiate the NICS check and authorizes the FBI to inform CMP of the result. IMPORTANT: If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your license, permit, or card with the application for purchase.


If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a certificate, license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your certificate, license, permit, or card with the application for purchase. Rifle shipments to NY and NJ must be made to a state licensed dealer. You must provide a copy of the dealer’s license with your order form. Rifle shipments to CA must be made to a State licensed dealer or may be made to individual homes, providing that a CA Certificate of Eligibility and a Curio and Relic License are provided. Rifle shipments to CT must be made to licensed or dealer or may be shipped directly to the customer if a C&R license is provided.

As a result of CT Bill 1160 and Bill 13-220 , which revised CT Bill 1160, all CT customers purchasing rifles to be delivered in CT must have the rifle shipped to a CT licensed dealer or must provide us with a copy of their current Type 3 (C&R) FFL license. We can ship directly to a customer’s home if they possess a C&R license.

NY, NJ and CT customers who have already mailed their rifle orders to CMP should provide [email protected] with dealer information or order cancellation instructions. Information can also be faxed to 256-835-3527 or mailed to CMP Customer Service, (Attn: FFL Order), 1401 Commerce Blvd., Anniston, AL 36207.

Obtaining a firearm from the CMP is far more difficult than obtaining a firearm from any other FFL, with burdens far beyond that of purchasing a firearm at your local gun store. In addition to the expected state and federal laws (including a required FBI NICS background check), people hoping to purchase a firearm via the CMP must prove U.S. citizenship (some legal aliens may purchase firearms at a regular gun store, but not the CMP), provide proof of membership in a CMP-affiliated organization, and provide proof of marksmanship.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts