Cleaning and care for mil spec

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by johnnyonion, Dec 16, 2014.

1. johnnyonion

johnnyonion New Member

Hey guys and gals,
    I just got a Mil Spec and love it. I have used Ballistol on all my blued guns and since the Mil Spec is parkerized and I've never owned a parkerized weapon before, I was wondering if Ballistol is ok to use on the mil spec or if I should stick to gun oil!

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Short answer is that Ballistol is fine, as long as you remember to give the gun a spritz of it before you go out shooting 100 or more rounds. You can just spray the outside of the gun and then wipe it off, and enough will get where it needs to go to do the necessary job. That's what Hickok45 does! You can shoot 400 rounds or so without having to field strip and clean.

Long answer is that the rails, the front end of the barrel (the last inch or so), and the slide lugs should all get grease, since they do alot of sliding. Everything else can just get Ballistol, Hoppes, Kerosene with a little motor oil in it... Etc. The parkerizing will look best if you rub it down with heavy grease (or even soft wax) and then clean it up with a soft cotton rag. Steel likes to run "wet", meaning oily. If you use the gun in extreme cold or in an extremely dusty environment, you might want to try buying some Boron Nitride powder from Amazon, and experiment with using that on the sliding parts - Maybe in combination with some (very little) very low viscosity silicone based oil.

If you saw the collection of lubricants I have tried on my 1911's, you would KNOW I'm crazy. I should take a pic, and then explain what harebrained idea led me to try each one.

3. johnnyonion

johnnyonion New Member