Cecil The Lion

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by pokute, Jul 31, 2015.

1. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

I have a big problem with people shooting animals that are neither meat nor pests.

I have been talking to hunters for a couple of years about getting in on a hunt for meat, and have just about settled on ranch boar because the cost per pound seems good here, and the flavor of the meat is excellent.

I'd also have no problem shooting squirrels (they poop all over my fruit trees), raccoons (they are damned aggressive here), possums (nothing worse than checking out a noise in the backyard in the middle of the night and confronting a hissing 10 pound rat with a mouth full of bent nails), and coyotes (they seem to prefer cats and dogs to garbage). In the desert I'd like to see 99% of the rabbits exterminated because they are stripping the desert clean of all plant life - It's creepy to hike for miles and see nothing but the dried up remains of rare plants and cactus with a pile of rabbit turds next to them.

I also have no problem with shooting cougars or bears in self defense, of course. Though I think this is a rare occurrence these days.

But lions, tigers, etc... I don't understand what folks get out of that. I've looked at the youtube videos of recent Big-5 hunts, and these guys are shooting tame animals from 50 feet. Charles Askins went to Vietnam in the 50's to shoot "dangerous" water buffalo - The pictures he took showed domestic animals in rice paddies. A friend of mine used to ride one of those "dangerous" animals to school every morning in the Philippines. And why in the world would anybody shoot a giraffe?!

I've been reading all the issues of Guns Magazine from 1955-1964, and there were writers back then who shot the neighborhood cats for fun and then chewed out their neighbors when the neighbors complained. And then bragged about it in print! It's no wonder that, at the same time Guns printed those articles, anti-gun legislation kicked into high gear. The writers responding by printing that all of their detractors were communist fellow travelers (I kid you not!) pretty much sealed the debate.

People are actually approaching me now expecting me to defend that shmuck dentist, because owning a gun makes me a fellow traveler of the brotherhood of idiot dentists. Sigh.

2. Geezer

Geezer New Member

I used to hunt. I did eat the deer that I killed. I wasn't starving, I didn't have to hunt to eat. I no longer hunt. I have no problem with people that do legally hunt and do not waste what they kill.

There's been a lot of hype and misinformation about the lion. I would wager that 95%, or more, of the people that are talking about it are not qualified on lions or big game hunting to make statements and accusations. From what I have read, the dentist did not break any laws. Some point to previous trouble he has been involved in. This has no bearing on this case.

3. pokute

My dad was a dentist. Dentists are guilty until proven innocent.

4. pokute

Hmmm... It appears that Elmer Keith shot his neighbors cats using the excuse that they were destructive to game birds.

5. Quick_Draw_McGraw

Quick_Draw_McGraw New Member

Yum...cat-the other white meat.
    So many cats, so few recipes!

(Just having fun...I don't eat cats...often!)

6. pokute

Just got a spam titled "Lion Killing Dentist Saved My Mom!". Well, I guess it got my attention. Sort of.

7. Quick_Draw_McGraw

Quick_Draw_McGraw New Member

This sums it up

Not getting on a soapbox but sometimes are priorities are all mixed up.
    I'm not for killing animals for "fun" but we have MUCH bigger issues to worry about.

Attached Files:

8. pokute

I can assure you that everyone cares about veterans committing suicide. I have recently been caring about it a lot, and caring about their family and friends.