Bought First 1911

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by p-tex, Dec 5, 2016.

1. p-tex

p-tex New Member

I just bought my first 1911. It's a Springfield 1911 a1 stainless with crimson trace laser grips. The gun is used and I bought it sight unseen. Upon receiving the gun I will do a tear down and inspection. What should I keep an eye out for?

Thanks

2. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Welcome p-tex.
    Moved your post to introductions.
    Glad to have you join us and good choice.

Look for worn firing pin or any internal abuse and check to make sure the mags fit in the well properly..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2016

3. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

1911 Quick Check-Up

I'd check the sear/disconnect (not sure of the technical name):

1. Make sure there is no round in the chamber and no loaded mag, then rack the slide. Double check; a mistake here will cost you your hand.

2. Then, holding the gun with your regular one-handed grip, push the slide a 1/4-1/2 inch backward with your other hand, thus taking the gun out of battery.

3. Then try to fire while you are holding the slide out of battery.

If it fires when the slide is out of battery, the disconnect is not functioning properly. If that's the case I'd consult a gunsmith or one of true 1911 experts on this forum. I know a bit about 1911s, but I am not an expert.

I'd also test the grip safety"
    1. Make sure there is no round in the chamber and no loaded mag, then rack the slide.

2. NOT using a normal grip--but gripping it any way you can WITHOUT depressing the grip safety--point in a safe direct and pull the trigger.

If it fires without the grip safety being depressed, consult an expert.

I hope your new-to-you 1911 passes these little safety checks.

4. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

One more thing: If you get apart and have trouble putting it back together, there are MANY helpful 1911 videos on YouTube.

5. tazo2503

tazo2503 Moderator Supporter

6. p-tex

p-tex New Member

Thanks rev.!

7. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Great, enjoy it!

8. p-tex

p-tex New Member

I will post some pictures when I get it.

9. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum,post lots and lots :D,we like pictures too. ;)

10. p-tex

p-tex New Member

Anybody used silver bear ammo?

11. Conscript

Conscript New Member

Silver Bear

I'm breaking in a brand new 9mm Range Officer and just ran a box of S.B. through it yesterday. It shoots just fine and was the last 50 out of about 330 rds., so far. No FTF or FTE and very accurate at 50 ft. It is surprisingly clean and is as good or better than all the others I've thrown into the process, which includes two different brands of 115 gr. commercial reloads, some Winchester white box 115 gr., 50 rds of Magtech 115 gr. and about 25 rds of 124 gr commercial reloads. I wasn't too worried about the S.B. since I've used it in my loaded Taurus PT1911 .45 from time to time.... seems a bit dirty in the .45 version. The only problem with the R.O. occurred around 30 rounds into the break-in routine with two FTE and that happened with one of the 115 gr. reloads. They were a good deal slower going out the barrel than the factory stuff so no disappointment there.
    Brand new to this forum and it looks like a good place to be.

12. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Welcome from South Carolina Conscript.

Post some pics of that RO9 when you have time.

13. p-tex

p-tex New Member

Great info. Thank you. I will buy 1k rounds then for my gun. I can't wait until Tuesday when I can pick the gun up, and take it apart.

14. p-tex

p-tex New Member

I just picked up my gun and took it time the range. Had a few ftf. I suspect the gun was not oiled enough. I added a few drops under the slide and it ran better. Still had a few ftf though. I'm going to clean and lube the gun when I get home shortly. The laser was way off. 3in low and 8 inches to the right. I'll have to adjust that also.

15. p-tex

p-tex New Member

All cleaned up. [​IMG]

Attached Files: