Bottom feeding pays off

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by Geezer, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Geezer

Geezer New Member

I've been bottom feeding on the big auction site and won an auction for a 5 inch Springfield MilSpec. Parkerized with a few handling marks. That's OK 'cause I got some plans for it. Oh, and it was less than $400. It should get to my FFL in a few days. I'll show some photos when I get it. Just thought I'd brag a little.

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

You certainly lucked out! Congratulations!

3. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Got the word that it's at my FFL. Going to pick it up on Monday. I'll post some before photos when I get home with it.

4. Deerspy

Deerspy Member

well if the frame and slide are ok and only cost 400 then you can afford to change out all internal parts!

5. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Well, I picked up the MilSpec this morning and I'm a little bit disappointed.....I think. It is in much better condition than I was expecting. Actually, it looks pretty good, of course, it's got an idiot mark. I had plans to have it cerakoted and freshened up a little. Now, I don't know what to do. I guess I'll just have to shoot it and go from there. I hate being disappointed.....I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Geezer

Geezer New Member

And it doesn't have the mainspring lock. When did they start putting them in?

7. pokute

2002, I believe. Damn, you got a good deal for $400!

8. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Wow! Nice looking piece. Good job.

9. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Well, after showing it to a close friend of mine and listening to him, I've made a decision. He told me that I bought it planning on cerakote and a few things, so why not do it? It has an idiot mark so it will always be a beater anyway. I'm gonna do it!

10. gumpy

Go for the gusto Mon!! I have a Mauser I gave $50 bucks for with a shot out barrel and no bolt. I found a good barrel for it and a good bolt.
    Cut 6"' off the barrel, removed the front sight, cut the handle of the bolt and put one on to clear a scope. Now I have it apart to give it a camo paint job. Its the way I want it.

11. jflytle

jflytle New Member

WOW, $400 is an awesome deal. This should make for a great base to build from.

12. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Coming soon...........

13. pokute

Somebody just won an FA Premier Grade 454 for $1100. I was intent on getting the rare 45 Colt, do I didn't even bid on it.

By the way, April is the month for auction deals every year, for the obvious reason.

14. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Well, I got the Springer back this weekend. Polished up the parts where they rub together and had some Cerecoat squirted on it, Burnt Bronze and Graphite Black. A long while back, I bought some grips off Ebay. They came from Thailand and were some kind of bone with a mother of pearl inlay. I wasn't expecting too much for thirtysome dollars but when they showed up they are very nicely made.
    The after photos are taken in the shade on a cloudy day so the colors are off a little. Here ya go:

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  15. gumpy

I like the contrast. Very good job!

16. pokute

Aww, you beat me to the paint can!

17. Straightwall

Straightwall New Member

Absolutely Punishing! Lol

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  18. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Straightwall sent me a gift of some new grips. I put them on the new one but I think they'll look better on my stainless GI.

[​IMG]

19. Straightwall

Straightwall New Member

I like the look on this gun, but agree that the black grips will look cool on a stainless gun.
    But then you have to put the grips from the stainless gun on a new gun. I think I may have just cursed you. You will either be a grip ahead or a gun short!