Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many people who train and practice at the range and at home dry firing shoot or practice with BOTH eyes open? Know the benefits of both eyes open shooting and hence follow that rule. We are discussing pistol shooting, not rifle. Also who has been taught that using iron sights one only uses the front sight and as it is impossible to focus on front and rear sight struggle? It comes back to holding a pistol correctly and it works. Many people i have taught i usually after i have shot with them for a few days I put tape over the rear sight and the shooter is surprised when they hit the target with their shoots. I start at 10 yards, and then move back. Possibly that is why so many professionals, police etc are now using red dots.

·
143 Posts
I shoot with both eyes open and focus on the front sight. I was taught that way back when and we teach that during our concealed carry classes. Never tried taping the rear sight. Will have to give it a try. For some reason I struggle with red dots on handguns though. I can shoot OK with them, but not as well as iron sights when it comes to grouping and hitting certain aiming points on targets.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a good pistol with a extremely reliable red dot, Vortex venom, delta pro point etc and with a few hours shooting you may never again use iron sights. Muscle memory as you draw and point will after a few hours get you absolutely on target. I still use both systems but many say that as one ages the eyesight fades and red dot is all that saves them. Red dots at distance is the strong point. Try it on your 100 steel plate. Use high velocity ammunition.

·
143 Posts
I've shot a number of reliable red dots on a variety of handguns. I have three on some of my long guns and shoot them just fine. I had a Glock 19 MOS with the Vortex venom and just never was able to shoot it to my satisfaction. I will admit though, that I never shot Glocks as well as other brands. They just don't fit my hand and I never liked the trigger no matter what mods I did to them. Ended up selling the pistol but kept the red dot. I'm sure you're correct that with enough training I will become much more proficient. I can mount that venom on my CZ P-10F and work on it I suppose.

·
522 Posts
I shoot handguns with 2 eyes open and I have traditionally focused on the front sight.

My last couple range trips I have been focusing on the target, NOT the front sight.
My groups widened but are still acceptable for normal self-defense scenarios.
It's just another skill to have in the tool bag.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shoot handguns with 2 eyes open and I have traditionally focused on the front sight.

My last couple range trips I have been focusing on the target, NOT the front sight.
My groups widened but are still acceptable for normal self-defense scenarios.
It's just another skill to have in the tool bag.
At what distance may i ask on your last range trip focusing on the target? Shooting when focusing on the target is practiced in service match and the shooter must not raise the pistol above the waistline. It works but 7 yards is the best effort.
Years ago i had a friend who removed not only the rear sight to force his students to use the front sight and hence prove a point that accuracy would be fine, he then also removed the front sight and forced his students to use the alignment of the pistol and 10 and then 15 yards. It was fun and surprisingly accurate. As he said, one day the sights may just dislodge and what then.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've shot a number of reliable red dots on a variety of handguns. I have three on some of my long guns and shoot them just fine. I had a Glock 19 MOS with the Vortex venom and just never was able to shoot it to my satisfaction. I will admit though, that I never shot Glocks as well as other brands. They just don't fit my hand and I never liked the trigger no matter what mods I did to them. Ended up selling the pistol but kept the red dot. I'm sure you're correct that with enough training I will become much more proficient. I can mount that venom on my CZ P-10F and work on it I suppose.
I looked at the 10F CZ about a year ago and recently before our latest lockdown i shot 2 mags through it from the person that did buy it. Like the Glock and M&P, the 10F is very light and like a light pistols this barks, muzzle flips. Weight is around 900 grams. I will stick with the Shadow 1 which i regard as a great pistol. I will tolerate the muzzle flip on the XD i own because i have grown used to it and it has never missed a beat. The Vortex venom is perfect, i have one venom and one viper.

·
143 Posts
I really like my P-10F. Comparatively speaking it's on the heavy side for a full sized polymer pistol. At 28.20 oz. it's over 3 oz. heavier than a Glock 17 and although it has a 1/2" shorter barrel it's just 0.30 oz lighter than an M&P 9 M2.0 Law Enforcement model with a 5" barrel. Granted, it's way lighter than my SP-01 Tactical or your Shadow 1 but I haven't experienced what I would consider excessive muzzle flip with the weapon. The grip size, grip angle and high bore axis function well for me. I get it back on target quickly and shoot it very well, by my standards anyway. I like it's setup right out of the box and don't plan on any mods. Trigger is wonderful and I really like the sights. I'm going to mount the Venom on it and take your advice and practice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts