Best Model M1A?

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1A Rifle' started by Mike308, May 26, 2014.

1. Mike308

Mike308 New Member

Hey all, I'm gonna be buying an M1A within the next month or so. Couple of questions
    1. Is all the hype about cast vs forged (I.E. Springfield vs Fulton) really a large factor worth the extra price?
    2. Between the scout and one of the SOCOM models in springfields selection which would you recommend? I'm looking for a versatile 308 which can be used for anything from home defense to hunting to ranch gun etc. I was thinking SOCOM because of the shorter barrel, however is the extra 2lbs much of a factor compared to the scout with the larger barrel?
    Any thoughts input suggestions welcome.

2. Ardbeg

Ardbeg New Member

Hi Mike308. Just my personal opinion, i don't think it matters that much between cast vs forged when it comes to civilian use. I don't think you will be putting the rifle through the stress and rigors of combat. Some people like things overbuilt and that's fine. But the reality of range use, hunting, home defense does not justify it in my opinion. But its just a matter of what you want in your rifle. I would think the scout would offer a little more versatility than the socom but i don't think you would go wrong with either rifle. Bottom line...which one do you like best? They both should do fine in any role.

Sent from my iPhone using Springfield Forum

3. Mike308

Mike308 New Member

Appreciate the feedback! I am one of those people who likes things overbuilt when budget allows, but I guess in this case I just don't think it's worth the price tag.
    And I suppose I'll just have to hold each and see which feels better to me.

4. Mike308

Mike308 New Member

Saw a scout model at the gunshow today- 1,350. Anybody seen them much cheaper?

5. gates80

gates80 New Member

Get a scout if your going for a ranch style, I've talked to gunsmith and Match competitors and they have never had a receiver crack on them so I wouldn't worry about cast or forged unless your shooting 500rds a day. Just my two cents cheers

6. bhappycattle

bhappycattle New Member

I too was in the same quandry about this time last year. I wanted a short, compact yet extremely accurate ranch/truck/tractor gun. I looked hard at the Socom 16 and the Scout Squad. I ended up with the scout squad. Etiher way i would have been happy, but the SS came along sooner and at an awesome deal. The only thing I did was change out the gas lock and muzzle brake. I changed the muzzle break to a Smith Vortex. Helped tremendously with the percieved percussion. It also reduced the overall length to 39" from 40 1/2". I am only 1.5 longer than a Socom 16 now, so think I have the best of both worlds I also switched out stock to urban camo and refinished a M14 stock for fun. One of the best gun investments I have made.

Also wanted to add that I never once thought I should have went with a "higher end" forged M1A. Springfield makes millions of these guns and will continue too. I think that speaks for itself.

[​IMG]Scout Squad with refinished M14 stock by bhappycattle, on Flickr

[​IMG]Scout Squad in Urban Camo by bhappycattle, on Flickr

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  7. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Very nice rifles! If I haven't told you yet, welcome to the forum!

8. gates80

gates80 New Member

Would take a ss over 16 any day that extra couple inches sure helps when your shooting farther down range

9. fredjocko

fredjocko New Member

I bought a SOCOM 16 last year and love it and I bought a Scout Squad this year and I have to say I love the Scout more. I can't quantify it; I just like the Scout better.

10. gates80

gates80 New Member

Just found out recently I have a m1a "bush" rifle, predates the scout squad. Built april/94

11. Usaranger556

Usaranger556 Junior Member

I just picked up a M1a scout squad ! LOVE IT! I wish I had picked up the one with the walnut stock. I have the black syn stock. Still love it though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  12. Teddybear

Teddybear Member

Nice rifle Ranger.

Here's what you do. Shoot it, clean it, repeat.

13. Usaranger556

Usaranger556 Junior Member

Lol! I plan on that! A lot I might add.