best ammo for emp 40

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory EMP' started by RichT, May 12, 2015.

1. RichT

RichT New Member

Hi guys, new to Springfield, and new to the forum, so forgive me if this has been answered before. Just got a new EMP 40 cal. Thought about a Kimber, but had reservations after reading reviews and talking to friends. When I saw the EMP in my local shop, I fell in love with it, and ordered the 40 cal. I really like the gun, feels comfortable, and appears really well made. Trigger is a bit heavy, but hope that goes away with some rounds down range. I also read they are finicky on ammo. I've tried range ammo, Win white box, federal, Speer lawman, etc. and results were disappointing. I had read reviews attesting to the accuracy of the EMP, so I stepped up, got some Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Critical Duty, and even some DRT in 105 gr. Things got better, but not as good as I hoped. I am anal about accuracy. I can take the bullseye out of the target at 35' with my Glock 26. I can put 4 of 5 rounds touching with the Citadel 45, so I'm a decent shot. Best I've done so far, from a rest, is a 2" group at 30' with the DRT 105 gr. Most of the others come in at 3" to 4" at 10 yds. So, to save me time, and some expense for testing, can you guys tell me which ammo has worked best for you? Is it me, or the gun? What has been your experience? Thanks for the feedback.

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Welcome to the forum!

The EMP is a fine gun. It's not a target pistol, but it will shoot much better with a trigger job. If you are willing to send me your hammer, sear, and sear spring I will return them in a couple of days with the hammer and sear squared and polished and an extra sear spring tuned for target work. Put a pair of twenties and a ten in the box for my very expensive labor, a new Colt sear spring, and shipping. PM me for the address.

I will not modify your factory sear spring, I just need it to try to get a clear picture of what's going on now.

I won't be insulted if you don't want to send it to me.

3. RichT

RichT New Member

Pokute,
    Thanks much for the offer. I have considered doing trigger work, and no insult to you, but I have a smith here who is excellent, and will do it for me, without having to send it anywhere. I mainly wanted to know which ammo has worked best for folks, as I have noticed significant differences in those I have tried already. The DRT definitely shot the best, but it's pretty light at 105 grains, and also expensive. I've ordered some Rem Golden Sabre, Hornaday Critical Defense in 155 and 165 respectively, and some Win Ranger HP. Again, thanks for the reply, I know a trigger job will improve things.

4. pokute

Ah, excellent. Good smiths are harder and harder to come by as they discover that it's a mostly philanthropic proposition!

5. RichT

RichT New Member

Hey guys, what gives? I notice the thread has had 46 views, but only 2 replies from Pokute. Did I break the rules, tick someone off? Hard to believe no one has a suggestion, advice, or input on my original question. Or, is it too mundane for a response? Really would appreciate some input. Thanks,

6. pokute

It's probably just that there aren't any folks here with an EMP in 40. I shoot a micro-compact in 45acp (AMT 45 Backup - But then, I'm 12 feet tall and weigh 800 pounds), and I go for mass when I'm launching through a short tube. There are some very good 200gr rounds in 40 from DoubleTap. Don't expect any expansion from a micro pistol - You are going to get about 75% of the velocity printed on the box.

7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Exactly what pokute said,if anyone here had any info for you I'm sure they would share it. I don't recall anyone else,at least not regulars,mentioning they had a EMP 40. If they did I don't remember it,it's been awhile if they did. Sorry you're not getting the help you're wanting,everyone on here is very friendly and helpful.

8. Straightwall

Straightwall New Member

I no longer have a .40 cal gun. I had a G22 police trade Glock for a while, but sold it. I didn't like the recoil of the .40. In semi-autos, I prefer .45 first and 9mm second.
    With modern bullet technology, I believe the 9mm can now answer the reason(s) the 10mm and the .40 were created.

However, during the Great Ammo Crisis a year or two ago, all that was on the shelves was .40 s&w ammo and I no longer had a gun that fit. I have thought about buying a SD40VE or something to have a gun in each caliber for ammo scarcity times. I just don't have that extra disposable green.

In the short term my opinion is good for you as that means you get more ammo choices and selection at the stores.

My having neither a .40 nor an EMP is why I did not originally comment on your post. Best of luck finding more info about your .40 cal EMP.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  9. rayp35

rayp35 New Member

Hi im new in this forum and i have a .40 EMP, i used different brands of ammo and i like Federal .40 180 grain and have no problem

10. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

So how did this end up ? curious as i have a 4" 40 cal on the way

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  11. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

3 brands you can't go wrong with Hornady Critical Defense, Federal Hydrashok, Speer Gold Dot.
    You choose the grains that suit you.
    I've shot these 3 in a Kahr CW40 and a Beretta PX4 Storm 40 cal. with excellent performance.

12. RichT

RichT New Member

40 cal ammo

Since I posted this originally, I have sent the EMP back to SA a couple of times. They did some adjusting and changed the barrel. Much better now. From a rest, I can get down to less than 1.5" at 10 yds. Still working on the offhand, but getting better.
    I've had good luck with Blazer Brass 180 and Magtech 180 and 165 for practice, and Speer Gold Dot 165, and Hornady Critical Defense in 135 gr, and Ranger LE HP 165 for self defense rounds. I think any good name brand, Speer, Sabre, etc. will function fine in the gun. Mine is 3", so it's a bit more "snappy" probably than the 4". I shoot 45's better, but still like the EMP for size and comfort.

13. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuQUyh00Db4[/ame]

The data should be the same for your pistol. These are four choices.