Barrel removal issues

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by Cropduce, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Cropduce

Cropduce New Member

I just Bought my first 1911A1 today. When trying to slide the barrel out through the front during take down, I realized mine would get stuck and I'm not sure if breaking the gun in will help or if it's a defect. Any suggestions?

2. Teddybear

Teddybear Member

Congrats on your first 1911.

Slide stop removed? Barrel bushing removed? Recoil spring and guide removed? It should come right out.

Don't get discouraged. I hade to take my first 1911 to an "old head 1911 guy" to get instruction on dis-assembly/re-assembly instruction.

3. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

The link needs to be rotated forward to clear the slide.

4. Cropduce

Cropduce New Member

I have already insured that it was forward per the owners manual. It still gets stuck. It glides easily at first begins to want to twist to the side a little, then locks to the point I have to give it a nice little bump with my hand to back it out.

5. pokute

Okay, let's start from scratch. I will make four assumptions, you will tell me if thy are incorrect:

• This is a full size (5 inch barrel) 1911A1.
    • It does NOT have a bull barrel.
    • It does NOT have a full length guide rod.
    • The bushing is not so tight that it cannot be turned by hand at lockup.
    Okay, here's the drill:

1. Remove the magazine.
    2. Rack the slide smartly to eject a possible round in the chamber.
    3. Cock the hammer.
    4. Engage the thumb safety.
    5. With the right thumb, push the spring plug in against spring pressure.
    6. While holding the plug in, turn the bushing clockwise until it clears the plug.
    7. Carefully release the plug. do not allow it to fly away.
    8. Disengage the thumb safety.
    9. Move the slide back a bit, and remove the bushing by turning it counter-clockwise until it will slide out.
    10. Move the slide back until the semi-circular cutout is aligned with the slide stop knuckle.
    11. Push the slide stop out by pressing the end of the pin from the right side. DO NOT PRY on the slide stop!
    12. Slide the frame towards the back until it is free of the slide.
    13. Remove the guide rod and spring to the rear.
    14. Rotate the link forward and with a little jiggle, slide the barrel forward out of the slide.
    15. Never force anything. It should practically fall to pieces.
    Here's somebody else's directions with pics:

http://how-i-did-it.org/detail-1911/field_strip.html

6. pokute

Uhu-oh... Back it out?! It goes out the front.

7. Cropduce

Cropduce New Member

Your assumptions are correct. The bushing is tight but I got it to rotate to both 9 and 4. The process you described is exact. The point I get to is step 14. When I try to glide the barrel forward even with a little jiggle it locks in and I have to bump it back to get it free. The barrel diameter or hinge assembly seems a little too big to fit. Even when I have the barrel link in the forward position.

8. pokute

Well, I suppose it is possible that the tips of the barrel lug are a tiny bit too long. There is no damage done by filing off a little of the extreme ends of the lug feet, they serve no purpose. Put the slide stop pin through the link and press it hard against the lug, you'll see that the ends of the feet are just hanging out in space. Just a couple passes with a fine file.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  9. pokute

Once everything starts behaving, you will want to learn to do the takedown without the thumb safety, so that you can ease the slide back a tiny bit before rotating the bushing.

There's also the very sexy armory takedown. Jackie Chan does it with one hand in Rush Hour. One can learn to takedown in 2 seconds, reassemble in 4.

10. pokute

I still take my 1911's to every "old head 1911 guy" I can track down. Every time I talk to one of those guys I learn something worth it's weight in gold. I've got about three years of 1911 'smithing under my belt, and I think in another couple of years I'll really understand the darn thing.

11. Cropduce

Cropduce New Member

I actually went ahead and called SA. I wasn't 100% comfortable altering it myself. They gladly said they'd take a look at it for me. I've always wanted to own my own 1911. Even with the minor setback, I'm sure it will become my favorite shooter. Thanks for the excellent responses!

12. pokute

Well, the good thing about sending it back is that it will get full attention from the SA Custom Shop. It will come back tuned perfectly.