Archangel stock install on Socom 16

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1A Rifle' started by Docs_S, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Docs_S

Docs_S Retired Corpsman

Just looking for advice - trying to install an Archangel stock, but don't want to remove too much material from their trigger pad. Has anyone installed one of these on a Socom 16 and how much material did you have to remove from the recommended pad to get it to fit? This little bugger is tight...

2. Docs_S

Docs_S Retired Corpsman

Got everything set up with a Vortex Crossfire II Scout scope. Got a little artsy-craftsy with some Krylon paint while I was at it.

Attached Files:

3. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

OKAY . . . . .so after the mods how did it shoot?

4. Docs_S

Docs_S Retired Corpsman

Shoots really well. Very comfortable, especially in comparison to the OEM stock. It is quite a bit heavier, which cuts down on felt recoil. At least it's a purchase I don't regret.

5. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

Looks neet! so the thing weighs 8.8 new . . . how much did it add?
    I'd like to see how its shooting . . next time out to a 100 yrd can you save us a
    clean 5 shot target and post? How much under 4" can ya get ? ? ? :D
    TX

6. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Interesting but I may go for a surplus wood stock on mine.

7. Docs_S

Docs_S Retired Corpsman

I switch back and forth a lot between the Archangel and the original stock. The Archangel is adjustable, so it's easy to use, but it's a bit of a chunk. It also soaks up more recoil than the OEM stock.

Either one gives me 2" groups at 100 yds (With both 147g 7.62 Nato and 168g match .308 Win). I'm sure the 2-7x scope I have on it helps, but even the iron sights are much better than any AR platform I've used. Fortunately, between the Army infantry and the Marines I worked with as a Corpsman training me to shoot, I was proficient at hitting chest-sized targets at 500 m with iron sighted M16's, so the sights on this rifle are just another bonus.

8. jrboulw

jrboulw New Member

Docs_s....just picked up a socom last week. Looking at the archangel, how much did you end up having to remove from the stock? Also looking at the vortex scout, were you able to use low rings when mounting?

9. Docs_S

Docs_S Retired Corpsman

Fiddle around with it before you start removing any material. Not all of them need it, for whatever reason. I had to take a fine file to mine, but nothing huge. Low rings were just about perfect - the mag ring rubs a little on the handguard, but not enough to be an issue.