Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I primed 50 38 Spec. cases and 150 45 ACP tonight. Am now down to 600 small pistol primers. I’m thankful for what I have but am used to having at least a couple thousand on hand.

Has anyone seen any primers for sale or heard anything about when they might become available again?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I primed 50 38 Spec. cases and 150 45 ACP tonight. Am now down to 600 small pistol primers. I’m thankful for what I have but am used to having at least a couple thousand on hand.

Has anyone seen any primers for sale or heard anything about when they might become available again?
All the very best to you in your hour of need. In our lucky country we have a shortage of both primers (usually supplied by the U.S) and also powder. Many here, we usually buy primers in lots of box lots (5000) by 3 boxes and powder in 2 or 3 units * 2KG lots. And always keep that amount as a base number. Some here as prices usually rise keep double that quantity and the minute someone mentions shortages they double their supply. As a friend said, as serious shooters 1 years supply is the minimum. We have since January 2021 seen prices for 2kg of powder go from $95, and listed very recently by a person at $225.

·
Registered
XD-S Mod.2 OSP w/CT1500 and Hellcat w/RMRcc both in 9mm
10 Posts
Compared to around this time last year when nothing was available, I find things are sporadic and extremely limited. I have not seen anything for sale locally in well over a year, with the exception of some old forgotten inventory at a range that doesn't sell reloading supplies, and my local BassPro, which gets a few thousand CCI #450 every few weeks. Powder is generally just stopping by a shop and seeing what, if any, of their backorder happened to come in, but I've gotten lucky a few times and am pretty well stocked again.

This does seem to be very region dependent, where you have guys on YouTube from around the country going to stores and finding all kinds of stuff on the shelf, but that also varies from week to week, with one week having full shelves and the next empty.

I have gotten lucky and was able to order 4k small rifle and 1k small pistol online, but I'm thinking it was because I happened to be awake at 5AM and the sites just updated their inventory/websites.

As far as prices, they are very high. Paid $0.15 per large pistol primer for the stuff I found locally by accident (was also down to 200 CCI #300's at the time,) and the online orders being $70-$90/1000, although all of them were the more expensive match/premium/AR ones that I usually don't use, but were the only thing available.

·
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was fortunate that my secretary came across 3 lbs. of Unique. She texted me to ask if I wanted it.

With my primer supply as low as it is, that 3 lbs. will last a long time! 😭

·
Registered
11 Posts
Primer availability here in central Georgia has been very sporadic. On the rare occasions I do see primers they're going for $15/100. I got lucky one month ago and managed to snag some CCI 500s on the Brownells web site for $74/1000. Powder isn't much better.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Speaking of primers. I have just returned from a journey to my favorite gun shop. I purchased all i was allowed as they are rationed 2000 Federal small pistol primers. This is my monthly allocation from 1 supplier the other sells me Fiocchi at a price. Note the price of Federal in A$ top left hand corner. $ 134.00. In February this year they cost around $88.00. I know shooters here who have no one supplier and always buy from the dealer who sells at lowest price. I might at time pay a few dollars more but i still now when supplies are short get some. I like Fiocchi as much as Federal as they are also soft strike. Winchester are hard and CCI are also semi soft. S&B are another option.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Primers are available…in the past 2 months I’ve purchased 4000 LPP and 5000 SPP from Midway or Brownell’s. I’m at the point of buying from Brownell’s since they allow 2 bricks when available. It really saves on Hazmat charges and drops the price from 11.4¢ to 9.5¢ per primer. Just check regularly during the day and they release some throughout the workday..or look on ammoseek.com to see what’s available and where.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just an aside, I haven’t found my favorite powders so I purchased 8lbs of Win244 when it came available and have been developing loads for my .380s, 9mm and 45ACP. I‘m used to Bullseye and or Unique but those are a rare find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts