Ammunition Shortage

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by Willieboy, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Willieboy

Willieboy Angry Old White Guy

As soon as I ordered my RO Compact, I ordered a case of 9mm. I learned yesterday the order may not be filled for 6-9 months. I know the Obama administration has been buying up 9mm in large quantities and that probably accounts for the shortage. I suspect too, private citizens in Texas are stocking up due to Operation Jade Helm.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Ahhh ...yes... Jade Helm 15 is a comin' !!

Not sure if you looked on Sportsmans Guide....there is plenty 9mm available there.

3. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Sorry to burst your paranoia bubble, but there's no shortage of 9mm here. I bought a case last week and had my pick of a dozen different cartridges, as many cases as I could cart away. Wound up buying Blazer Brass because it's top grade stuff and was only $0.30.

Now, if you suggested that aliens were buying ALL of the 22LR ammo, I might have to agree with you. Though there seems to be no shortage of it at online auction sites.

Or maybe you are suggesting that the Jade Helm kiddies are having to buy their ammo at WalMart?

The GAO buys ammo years in advance. The days when the Gov't could buy anything when they just feel like it are long gone.

4. Willieboy

I don't know where the Jade Helm troops get their ammo, but I suspect it's the same U.S. Government that's been buying up so much 9mm. I understand NATO too is participating in Jade Helm. I hope you're right and I'm just being paranoid, but there are many things going on in America that, when considered along with Jade Helm, walk like a duck.

5. pokute

Seriously, GAO accounting requires that all applicable Mil Specs are met for all purchases, and this means that they insist on hard commitments with guaranteed pricing years in advance for all critical expendables. The companies that supply the military don't want to kill the golden goose, so the whole process runs on greased rails.

The sad fact is that there are folks hoarding ammo that they will never shoot. It's like people putting all their change into a Sparklett's bottle. Everybody in Louisiana, for example, has the trunk of their car packed full of guns and ammo in anticipation of occupation by Mexico, or something.

6. Balota

Balota Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, Willie, I'd think about cancelling the order and finding another source. 9mm is very available almost everywhere. Are you lucky enough to be very far from any major sporting goods stores? Even with mail order you should be able to get 9mm faster that 6 months. More like that many days should be available.

7. Willieboy

I've left the order in place, but have a case of Golden Saber on the way from another vender. Should be delivered today.

8. pokute

I just saw some interviews with some people from some part of Texas where they don't see many strangers, and it made it clear to me where all the ammo in Texas went. How can those people afford to spend all that money on ammo?! You could make a fortune by driving a mobile "one day" denture clinic through the place... If they have any money left after buying up all the ammo in the state.

9. Straightwall

Straightwall New Member

Haha! Can't afford the dentist, but they will finance a tattoo.

10. Geezer

Geezer New Member

I've done a few trades over the last few months and it seemed like every time there was some 9mm thrown into the deal. One deal had 650 rounds of 9mm. Before the trades I was already in good shape on the ammo. Now, I'm really set!

And just yesterday afternoon, I stopped by Gander Mountain and picked up all the 22LR that I wanted. CCI Mini Mags in 300 round packs with some guy on the box. I bought 6 boxes at just under .09 per round. There was plenty more on the shelf. There was a lot of other 22LR available but I prefer CCI Mini Mags when I can get them.

They even had 9mm/.40/.45 ammo in bulk (250 rounds) on sale. I haven't been in a WalMart for a long time so I don't know about them but there seems to be plenty of ammo around here.

11. pokute

Mini mags!!! Not seen around here for years!

12. Willieboy

I love the idea of the mobile dental clinic. In Texas, we kid about Arkansas in the same terms.

13. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I've got almost a full box of Minimags,they're getting a little corroded though,guess I've had them too long :D.

14. pokute

I've got friends from Arkansas. Their favorite joke is: "You know why there's no smart people in Arkansas? - They left!"

I know this one guy from (he left) Arkansas, he goes around the south buying old, worn belts... Then he flies to N.Y., Beverly Hills, Tokyo, Paris, Milan... And sells them for $400 and up! Travels with nothing but an old beat-up suitcase full of old worn out belts...