Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
馃帠USMC, Retired
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topic...

Has anyone had any luck installing an ambidextrous safety on a current 3" or 4" S.A. Ronin EMP?

Any details or information would be greatly appreciated. THX

Registered
I hope someone has info on this as I am also thinking about this. I am right handed but I like ambi controls as at the range I like to practice with my left hand. Might be worth a call to Springfield Armory.

Registered
馃帠USMC, Retired
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Semper Fidelis!

I'm in the same zodiac (i.e. boat), as I like being able to shoot my 1911's safely & comfortably from both sides.

I called CS at S.A. two different days & times and I was told that 1) S.A. doesn't sell safeties separately for the EMP, and 2) that regular sized aftermarket safeties like those from Wilsin Combat, NightHawk, etc. would not fit.

馃え馃....

Thus, I'm reaching out to the "subject matter experts" for their knowledge and experience(s). There's gotta be a way to put an ambi safety on a Ronin EMP...

Didn't the original EMP 4's have ambidextrous safeties...?

Didn't the original EMP 4's have ambidextrous safeties...?
You are correct. My original EMP 4 has an ambi safety. Not aware of an after market supplier of just the safeties. That doesn't mean they're not out there, just may take some digging on your part. If memory serves, the original EMP's were designed entirely around the 9mm cartridge using the 1911 style. Previous 9mm 1911's were just .45's with some tweaks. I think that's why most EMP parts are proprietary. Also I'm not sure what parts of the original EMP are compatible with the Ronin EMP. I would imagine Springfield would have wanted to be able to utilize the same parts as much as they could as a cost saving measure, but again, I don't know that for sure. The one big difference I noted on my Commander Ronin was the pinned ejector, whereas my EMP ejector was glued into place from the factory. I would hope the Ronin EMP ejector is also pinned.

Registered
馃帠USMC, Retired
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...a "glued" ejector?! What the... (wow)

Anyway, I guess I'll have to track down part numbers to see if there's any similarity between OG EMP's and the newer Ronin EMP's.

You hit the nail on the head when you stated that S.A. made the EMP proprietary and from the ground up. Nobody's got anything for it from what I've seen. Makes me wonder about the possibility of changing out the grips and sights... (would gov't/cmdr sized 1911 sights and officer sized grips work on an EMP?)

According to my owner's manual the part #"s for the ambi safety levers are PH5113 and PH5114. On the diagram schematic they show as 1bl and 1br respectively. You can check your manual and see if the part # matches.

Registered
馃帠USMC, Retired
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Outstanding!

Thanks for the help, as the part number(s) will help tremendously. Many Thanks!

Registered
馃帠USMC, Retired
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE:
I got the runaround again from CS at S.A., plus I just found a Like-New EMP 4 Champion Concealed Carry "Contour" that already has the ambi-safety. Thanks to all for the help & info. More to follow shortly...

Registered
Topic...

Has anyone had any luck installing an ambidextrous safety on a current 3" or 4" S.A. Ronin EMP?

Any details or information would be greatly appreciated. THX
I just got my EMP RONIN back from Springfield with Ambi installed. Perfect in a word. I didn't find that the Wilson Combat ambi would fit... Not cheap, but absolutely necessary as a lefty. Turn around is Springfield fast, also great customer service staff. I just asked customer service for a round trip RMA with label and work sheet. Dealer shipped it and it came to my home when finished. Couple weeks. Easy peasy...

Registered
...a "glued" ejector?! What the... (wow)

Anyway, I guess I'll have to track down part numbers to see if there's any similarity between OG EMP's and the newer Ronin EMP's.

You hit the nail on the head when you stated that S.A. made the EMP proprietary and from the ground up. Nobody's got anything for it from what I've seen. Makes me wonder about the possibility of changing out the grips and sights... (would gov't/cmdr sized 1911 sights and officer sized grips work on an EMP?)
VZ grips makes grip panels specifically for the EMP RONIN.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts