All Right! It's Here!!!

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by SA_Shooter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

The Springer 1911 Champion Operator Lightweight made it to Oregon from Texas today and my LGS says "Come Get It".

I was pretty sure it wouldn't get to the LGS until Monday so this is a nice surprise and a great way to end 2015.

So I will be headed out to pick it up, take some crappy cel phone pics and post them up later this afternoon. Then some familiarization will occur, I'll do a field strip, lube it up and start putting some rounds through it on Saturday.

Anybody got an extra 200 or so rounds of WWB I can borrow? :D

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Congratulations. I love it when things like that happen. :D

3. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

OK...here are the obligatory crappy cell phone pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I noticed she was pretty tight and wet. I guess the SA folks lubed her up a bit and gave her a send off. ;)

In any event I am gonna strip her down, wipe her off, lube her up and get ready for some action on Saturday.

4. ad5md

ad5md New Member

Congratulations! I'm excited, waiting for my LGS' call for me to pickup my Operator in 9mm.

5. thesparkens

thesparkens New Member

I have the same firearm and got to shoot it, I put 100 down the pipe and love it I will be taking the xd out of service and using mine for a carry gun. Be sure you break down and clean it and the mags as well. I did take mine down and polished the feed ramp to glass. Enjoy and have fun with yours.

6. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

The First 50

So I field stripped the SA this morning, lubed it up and headed for the range.

Here are the results of the First 50. I stopped at 50 because the thumbs gave up manually loading the magazines. A mag loader is on the way from MidwayUSA as I type.

A couple of things to note:

1. Since I've last fired a pistol I was right hand and eye dominant. Due to Lasik surgery I am now right hand/left eye dominant. So I need to adjust my stance and hand position a bit. All that will take is practice. The results shown below reflect that need to practice and get used to the new me.

2. Absolutely no malfunctions were experienced whatsoever. The mags fed the rounds flawlessly, all functions operated as advertised and the trigger feels pretty dang good. I am very happy with the SA's performance out of the box.

So, here's the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fired brass shows the firing pin is doing its job:

[​IMG]

Also, BulkAmmo dot com came through with my first ever order from them in super quick fashion. Once I break in the SA I'll see if these work as the load I will use for carry purposes:

[​IMG]

I got home, gave the piece a good wipe down and checked/wiped down the mags. I'm ready for the next range session, probably early next week. This sort of thing can be addictive!

7. mike0010

mike0010 New Member

SA_shooter,

what distance did you use for this test?

thanks

8. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

10 & 25 feet if I remember the range marks correctly. I'll have to ask the range officer the next time I am there as it was my first visit to their facility.

9. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

The Second 50

I went and did my civic duty this morning (jury duty) and finished up in the early afternoon so I took advantage of the break in my schedule to go to the range. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still working on that whole right hand/left eye dominant thing but I am improving compared to the 50 fired a few days ago.

I kind of mixed it up a bit today, firing the first 28 rounds in slow and measured cadence. The next 14 were fired as fast as I regained the site picture. Then I loaded up the last mag, put an 8th round in the chamber and fired slow and deliberately.

Dang SA is still stiff as a board but I expected that. It is easier to rack the slide back but the mag release, safety and slide stop are still pretty tight. I guess I'll have to twist and turn her knobs a bit to get her to loosen up. :rolleyes:

Anyway, another good day and some improvement was noted. All in all, not bad, IMHO.

10. ad5md

ad5md New Member

Congratulations! I picked up mine (RO Champion 9mm) last thursday after the LGS called me. Took it home for cleaning prior to testing but lo and behold.....Springfield forgot to include the half-round plastic tool for the guide rod! So now I have to wait for it to come in, what a bummer! Oh well....here are pictures

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  11. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

Congrats right back at ya.

I found the guide rod take down tool in the plastic baggy with the ILS key and allen wrench in it.

12. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Good, it seems like a good pistol!

13. ad5md

ad5md New Member

I double, tripled check mine....none in the small plastic baggie...even took the foam out....nada :((

14. nolaguy83

nolaguy83 New Member

She sure seems to be a great shooter according to your targets. And she's a beautiful gun. I just picked up my second Springfield 1911 and I chose an operator model. I have to say Springfield sure make some beautiful 1911's

15. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

The Third 50

Got in a short session at the range tonight. I drifted the rear sight a bit and am narrowing in towards that x-ring a bit more.

I'm still not too concerned about accuracy...it's only got 150 rds through it at this point but it's proving to be consistent.

This 50 was done with Fiocchi 230gr FMJ at 15 feet. The flyers are just me popping off a few rounds as quickly as I could.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also took delivery of my DeSantis Speed Scabbard this evening. UPS was kind enough to drop it off. :)

[​IMG]

16. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

I received my VZ Grips G10 Gator Backs in black this afternoon, along with the slimline bushings, o-rings and "Blackout" grip screws.

I had no idea that SA used red Loctite on the stock bushings! A little heat from a soldering iron rectified that, though. A little blue Loctite was used with the new bushings.

Anyway, here it is before:

[​IMG]

And here it is now. I added a bit of grip tape to the front strap. I'll have some 20 LPI checkering done there eventually:

[​IMG]

17. roelite1911

roelite1911 New Member

great shooting nice weapon

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  18. unclebob

unclebob Active Member

Congrats!
    Nice looking firearm, I have a Springfield Range officer coming soon.
    I am quite anxious, I have never owned a 1911 or anything in.45.