Alien gear holster for xds 45

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by 45acpmills, Jan 29, 2015.

1. 45acpmills

45acpmills New Member

I've recently got a iwb holster for my xds 45 and its a alien gear...I love the holster very comfortable was just wondering who all else out there has 1 and what r ur thoughts ?

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I just got 1 for my Ruger SR40c but I need to get a belt before I can try it out :(.

3. DoubleR

DoubleR Supporting Member Supporter

We got Alien Gear 2.0 holsters and returned them.
    Comfortable yes.
    Retention was wonky on them. To flimsy so re-holstering took 2 hands which meant not being safe. Caught on the safety every time I registered.
    Clips were not strong.
    To small leather for a full size.
    All things I don't have a problem with with my other holsters.

4. 45acpmills

45acpmills New Member

I haven't had a problem with mine I seem I can holster back with one hand and everything...hate that urs didn't work out for ya

5. DoubleR

We're pretty picky and we take classes etc in ours ;)
    Really glad you like yours :D

6. 45acpmills

45acpmills New Member

Yea I mean if it's not what u like or feel comfortable with then it's not for u...sometimes it's better to b picky on a holster

7. DoubleR

Exactly. You have to rely on your equipment for your life. :) Its important.

8. JeremyMcG

JeremyMcG Diapers or Ammo??

I recently ordered an Aliengear OWB and I will be doing an in depth review of it on YouTube after I get it.

I'm interested in knowing what issues people have had with theirs (positive or negatives) so I can be sure to cover all be bases.

Here is a short review I did of a DeSantis holster so you can see the style that I do:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq7Z4GoCm7g[/ame]

My YouTube channel for guns and ammo reviews: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLu0re9BmVKm6rU4n5xPyJn2d0cBAlHAKT

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  9. regduby

regduby New Member

I carry all my ccw weapons most of the time in a bellyband in the small of back, works well for me

10. regduby

regduby New Member

The desantis owb is also a good choice but must wear baggy clothing or jacket for good conceal

11. Tex8390

Tex8390 New Member

I had a convertible custom made... I love it! ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1423488662.170848.jpg

12. 45acpmills

45acpmills New Member

Very nice.....looks comfortable too what's the brand

13. JeremyMcG

Whelp - my Alien Gear came in today. I'll be doing a full video review of it on YouTube.

The short:

pros - it's thin - it works - it seems comfortable - it's $35.00

Cons - sigh... I'm going to have to cut the leather as it impedes the draw because it rubs my middle finger - the rubber spacers look like (and I think they are) fuel line hose - the belt loops aren't wide enough and look like they may deteriorate in time.

Meh - it's a $35.00 holster....

14. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I just got 1 for my SR40c and a lot of times when I'm putting it in or taking it out it turns on my laser. Something I need to address.

15. Tex8390

Tex8390 New Member

It was custom made by an individual. I called him to make one for my wife and he gave it up. I did find another individual in Mesquite, TX, (he's a Marine!) that made one for my wife and it's awesome! I'm gonna have him make one for me. He's on the web... B4 gear...

16. Tex8390

Tex8390 New Member

Those spacers are fuel line hoses. A lot of manufactures use them.

17. Tex8390

Tex8390 New Member

The bast advice I can give from personal experience, find someone local and be willing to give up the weapon for a day or two. Let them custom make you a holster to your specs with YOUR weapon. You're gonna pay more for it. Mine cost 110, but... It's even more bad ass than the picture lets on. You'll save money on useless holsters that way.

18. JeremyMcG

Ok - so here is the full video review I did on this holster...

The short is that I don't think this is a safe holster for two reasons.
    1) The belt loop straps are too narrow and not enough material around the grommets. This could cause a failure and an unsafe condition.
    2) There is excess leather on the back that interferes with drawing the weapon. This can cause a bad draw, a dropped gun, or other catastrophic conditions.
    I cannot recommend the Alien Gear Cloak Slide for the Springfield XDS to anyone until Alien Gear fixes those issues.
    For $35.00, I can overlook many many things, but safety factors are not one of them.
    I will be taking advantage of their 30 day warranty and I will be sending this holster back.

If someday in the future they decide to fix those issues, I will be willing to try them again - but I can't trust my life to a holster that may keep me from drawing my weapon. It's my opinion that the holster was neither designed nor QC'd by a "shooter."

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp0snHKndc8[/ame]