9x23 in Omega

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by mike0010, Jan 4, 2016.

1. mike0010

mike0010 New Member

Not sure whether this is technically the proper place for this question, but the Springfield Omega is supposed to be a 1911 model... of sorts.

Anyway, my question is whether I will run into trouble if I attempt to run 9x23 through a 38 Super barrel in the Omega. The 9x23 is a rimless cartridge, and the 38 Super Omega barrel headspaces on the case mouth, not the case rim, so I am wondering whether it will be OK to do this(?) Case length of both rounds appear to be similar (.9) and OAL is pretty close (+/1 .002); the only difference in dimensions is that the 9x23 has a slight taper whereas the 38 Super is cylindrical.

The Omega was designed to use interchangeable barrels, including the powerful 10mm, and the 9x23 has a pretty strongly reinforced case, so the question is whether this is something that I can try. I am interested in seeing the performance through the 6" barrel of the Omega.

Thanks for any insight.

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend it at all,completely different set ups there,just because they're close in size doesn't mean they're interchangeable. A shortened version of the same caliber like 38 special out of a 357 magnum sure,but 1 headspacing on the shoulder and the other the mouth are 2 different things,plus the operating pressures may be a lot different. That's just my opinion though,I don't trust the "hey wonder if it'll work" when it comes to guns.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016

3. Burris101

Burris101 New Member

Squirrelhunter is right. I shoot a 9x23 Winchester in a rechambered Range Officer. The chamber pressure on this cartridge is a lot higher than a Super. Same as a. 223 as a matter of fact. They're close in dimension and some people shoot them in Super barrels but it's dangerous.

4. mike0010

mike0010 New Member

Hi Squirrelhunter & Burris101,
    Thanks for the advice. I will pay good attention and keep my 9x23s to the Colt, which was designed for it!