9mm vs .40 vs .45

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by mkirk02, Jul 19, 2016.

1. mkirk02

mkirk02 New Member

I am going to purchase a sub compact XD mod.2. But I am torn on what caliber to go with. It will be my first and only gun. Plan on getting my carry permit. wondering what everyone's opinion is on what caliber you recommend?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I've never had a 9mm but I've had a 40 & 45,not a lot of difference in them except a tad more recoil and power with the 45 compared to the 40.

3. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

9mm is a good starting point. wide variety of loads, commonality, availability, cost of shooting.

(have and XD sub 3" in 9mm.......good value, and good shooter!)

I think the majority have said its my first and only . . . . at first. Curiosity usually takes hold
    within a year and ends with another purchase or up-grade trade.
    I entertain the cheaper by the dozen theory. :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  4. mkirk02

mkirk02 New Member

Thanks so much for the info. I have decided to go with the XD sub 3" for this purchase. Eventually would like to get a 1911 .45acp......some day just can't afford that right now.

5. eaglek

eaglek New Member

I am with CAV-SCOUT
    My first SF is a XDM 40 4.5barrel with in a year I got a XD-sc9 . Fun and easy shooting.

6. mkirk02

mkirk02 New Member

Why did you go with the 9mm in the xds?

7. eaglek

eaglek New Member

XDs was not out when I got my 9mm, got the xd/sc gor carry. Now also have XDs 45 and a 9mm mod 2 tactical.

8. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

good luck and throw up an update on progress and shooting.
    That model also has an option for factory night sites . . .
    If you can swing it . . . get em now . . .(cost less in long run):)

9. mkirk02

mkirk02 New Member

Will do!!

I wish my gun dealer would have told me that info. I had them order it yesterday because they didn't have the all black in stock.

10. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

He can call and change the order IF YOUR QUICK ! ( $50 now or $130 + later)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  11. ra_cr_hd

ra_cr_hd New Member

A buddy has the XD mod 2 in the 9mm...nice pistol for sure. Not much bigger than the XDs and more capacity...made me think twice about my XDs .45.

12. tjkoko

tjkoko New Member

I own both a Springfield 1911 in 45 ACP and also a Springfield XDm in 9mm. The felt recoil from the 1911 is great enough to force a muzzle flip requiring an addition split second to bring the barrel back onto the target. Not so with a 9mm; no muzzle flip comparitively. I shoot my 1911 for practice but carry the 9 mm should a life-threatening emergency occur.

The 9mm FMJ penetrates deeply whereas the standard 230gr round nose for the ACP will literally rip flesh should the bullet barely contact the body. A recent study in a gun magazine showed that the 45 ACP is responsible for deadlier results than the 9mm.

Your choice. More rounds to spray from 9 versus the 45 being a "deadlier" round.

(EDIT) Shooting one-handed with a 9mm, I am way more accurate than with a 45 as proven in a law enforcement class on deadly force that I took.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018