Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking one up in the next couple of weeks. What mags are available/usable besides the two that come with the firearm? Any suggestions would be appreciated. What about an extension for the six round mag?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Still think you need a smallish hand to grip it fully. 7 rounds really is all you need if in a close situation. Also the pistol with such a short barrel is not made to shoot accurately over longer distances, but with lots of practice could be managed.

·
Registered
2021, Springfield Armory Hellcat
12 Posts
I haven’t seen a 911 and 380 or 9 mm anywhere for sale in over a year. I want the 911 9 mm but it’s absolutely impossible to find them, not sure Springfield halted manufacturing or not

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a guess on my part but I'll bet they've stopped making them. Paid $500 for mine and of the five months I've had it, three of them the pistol was at Springfield. This was a two in one for me; the first and last. I'm really impressed with their service department but not favorably. There's two others at the range where I shoot. One guy has had no problems. The other guy has had worse problems than I have.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I haven’t seen a 911 and 380 or 9 mm anywhere for sale in over a year. I want the 911 9 mm but it’s absolutely impossible to find them, not sure Springfield halted manufacturing or not
They are still listed on Springfield's website, but like you said the most popular firearms are impossible to find.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Some pistols are difficult to locate, but there are always those willing to sell an as new pistol for the right price. Or wait until new stocks arrive. Supply and demand.

·
Supporting Member
7 Posts
911 is discontinued per SA’s website. I just saw that today but I haven’t looked in a while.

·
Registered
316 Posts
SA 911 discontinued? If correct, and i stress correct, there is only 1 question to ask, WHY? Was it a reliability, price, no buyer support? I have used several of their pistols and they are reliable and not to expensive. Have the a new product to replace the series? I may well be wrong but i dought such a fine pistol is discontinued. Now the hellcat, that has issues from what i read and hear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The trouble with small guns is the cost of manufacture is the same as larger guns. Sure, they use less material but the little actions require greater precision, reliability with more powerful loadings becomes problematic, and the customer complaints will come in landslides if a run of them leaves the factory with any problems.. I suspect it was a profit margin problem that would have meant raising the price which wouldn't help sales.. yada yada.
Too many models out there complicates things for service departments. Weak models get the ax first.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I do not agree, the Springfield Armoury 1911 models were not and are not "weak models", in fact the reverse. The same cannot be said for the hellcat, guess because it is made in Croatia it is very inexpensive and profits are better? Two of the worst pistols ever to leave a factory were and are the LLAMA and Star, followed closely by the Taurus, PT99. Yet on they go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do not agree, the Springfield Armoury 1911 models were not and are not "weak models", in fact the reverse. The same cannot be said for the hellcat, guess because it is made in Croatia it is very inexpensive and profits are better? Two of the worst pistols ever to leave a factory were and are the LLAMA and Star, followed closely by the Taurus, PT99. Yet on they go.
The thread is about the little 911 pistols, not the 1911s. I wasn't even criticizing them. I was pointing out reasons why manufacturers drop a model sometimes.
The Hellcat is not a weak model, I'd bet it is one of their best sellers and people have subjected them to 20,000 round durability tests where the only malfunctions (2) were traced to the ammo. I have one and it is accurate and reliable, a fine gun for CC.

·
Supporting Member
7 Posts
Per my gunsmith today, Sig has also announced discontinuation of their own .380 on the same platform while the jury may still be out on the Kimber in that class. Springfield discont the entire 911 line, including the 9mm models.

With high volumes of use, smaller platforms do take more abuse than a larger framed model would. It’s the same tiny explosion every time the hammer drops. Like doing the work of a 3/4 ton truck but using a 1/2 ton instead. It’s going to wear out sooner.

But for CC and light duty, why not?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts