45 ACP +P Loading

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by pokute, Feb 1, 2015.

1. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Shooting with a modern well made 1911, it's possible to run loads that would have been dangerous 20 years ago. Modern 45 ACP brass is much stronger at the web than formerly, because the poor support of the Glock chamber scared the ammo manufacturers out of their wits.

+P brass is also available from Starline - Originally the brass was normal 45 ACP brass with "+P" stamped on the head so that loaders could avoid putting hot loads in their WWI guns, but these days the +P brass is indeed stronger.

That said, as always when reading the irresponsible ramblings of folks like myself, load up to these levels from 20% below with fear and trepidation, and don't blame me if you lose life or limb in the process.

I am going to present example loads from a few different sources. I recommend you follow up by reading the source material before trying these loads. The loads below are a small sample from the sources indicated:

Handloader #218 August 2002

• 185 Sierra Power JHP - 9.5gr Power Pistol: 1162 fps
    • 185 Sierra Power JHP - 8.0gr Unique: 1122 fps
    • 200 Speer Gold Dot HP - 7.2gr Unique: 970 fps
    • 200 Speer Gold Dot HP - 8.5gr Power Pistol: 1018 fps
    • 230 Hornady XTP HP - 8.0gr VV-N350: 1018 fps
    • 230 Speer Gold Dot HP - 7.5gr Power Pistol: 961 fps

Handloader #264 February 2010

• 200 Hornady XTP HP - 7.3gr Unique: 1082 fps
    • 200 Hornady XTP HP - 8.5gr Power Pistol: 1088 fps
    • 200 Speer Gold Dot HP - 7.3gr Unique: 1098 fps
    • 200 Speer Gold Dot HP - 8.5gr Power Pistol: 1080 fps

Handloader #76 November-December 1978

• 185 Hornady JHP - 7.5gr Unique: 1045 fps
    • 200 Speer JHP - 7.5gr Unique: 1000 fps
    • 230 FMJ (Hardball) - 7.0gr Unique: 904 fps

Hornady #8 2010

• 185 Hornady XTP HP - 8.9gr Power Pistol: 1050 fps
    • 200 Hornady XTP HP - 8.2gr Power Pistol: 1000 fps
    • 230 Hornady XTP HP - 7.1gr Power Pistol: 900 fps

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. pokute

I was really hoping to generate some interest with this post. I'm sure folks here are aware of the Clark 460 Rowland conversion, which turns a 1911 into a magnum by doing little more than upping the recoil spring weight and adding a compensator.

The 460 Rowland is designed to operate at a pressures around 40ksi. The case is 0.0625 longer than the 45acp case to keep a gun chambered for 45acp from going into battery on a Rowland round.

A little understanding of the 1911 and you will realize that all this means that there is nothing stopping the 45acp from being loaded somewhat beyond the 21ksi SAAMI spec. With 45acp +P Starline brass, loads in the 25ksi range should be no problem. In fact, I have run the more extreme of the above loads myself in a tightly chambered gun with no issues at all.

You are now reading the usual disclaimer where I disavow any pretence to sanity, and warn you that taking anything I write as anything more than fantasy will result in mayhem or death in short order. Never exceed SAAMI specs under any circumstances.

John Taffin on the 460 Rowland

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I don't like living dangerously and I don't have a 45ACP :p.

4. pokute

And you've got guns I'd be afraid to stand up and shoot like a man for fear of spontaneous disassembly... Of me!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Odka54ygk[/ame]

5. Deerspy

Deerspy Member

I think I will try some of the star line +P brass in 45 acp for my target load 3.95 gr clays and see if I can make clover out of X's
    they only 25 to 50 yards away.

6. pokute

It appears that Clays has become the go-to powder for bullseye. Now that International and Universal are no longer called "Clays" ten years of confusion have come to an end ;) What bullet do you shoot? I've heard some folks are using XTP's for bullseye and getting crazy good scores. The bullseye club says folks over 50 can shoot two-handed now, so maybe I'll take up bullseye.

I wouldn't bother buying new Starline brass in the short pistol calibers. 45acp brass made in the last 5 years can be reloaded 10-20 times without a problem. It's really beefy! I'm sure you know this, but (for those who don't know) if you worry about consistent capacity and/or neck tension, sort your brass. Be sure to discard any brass that seems to take the primer too easily, or that is cracked or has sharp folds in it.

I currently believe that nearly 100% of all factory guns that are to be used for bullseye must get new minimum chambered barrels (meaning that the barrel must be hard fit - Sorry!). I have discussed the almost universal powder residue and lead smear (on spent case) issue with several longtime competitive shooters and smiths, and they all agree that it is a problem. They all feel that the bullet cannot be starting down the bore straight, and the base of the (cast lead) bullet is probably deformed.

On the bright side, I think that a hard-fit barrel in combination with a Wilson Group Gripper and EGW angle-bore bushing can give you as good a gun as full-on custom, for a lot less bucks. If anybody knows of a minimum chamber drop-in barrel, I'd really like to hear about it.

Last sales pitch: Brownell's only sells the full length Group Gripper. Wilson sells the GI one direct.

7. Deerspy

Deerspy Member

I use 185 gr Zero SWC, BUTTON, HPSWC and a lot of other lead in my colt wad gun, I bought this new springfield RO to shoot EIC match with but had to send it back to factory when i get it back will work up a load using 185 gr Hornady HAP, Nosler, or Zero jacketed it has to be jacketed for EIC but they have changed the rules so you use something other than 230 gr ball and the RO can now be used.

8. pokute

How about that. I didn't even know there was still a Civilian Marksmanship Program! I wonder if the bullseye club that is now using our range is part of that? It would be a hoot to shoot at Camp Perry!

9. Deerspy

Deerspy Member

I want to go to Camp Perry never been, only been shooting bullseye for five years and the more I shoot it more I like it! :)

10. pokute

Yeah! I have pictures in my head of Julian Hatcher, Harry Pope, Phil Sharpe, Walter Roper, Doug Wesson... And Elmer Keith! How cool would that be, to stand where they stood, and shoot?