4" EMP First Range Session

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory EMP' started by WVSurveyor, Jan 23, 2017.

1. WVSurveyor

WVSurveyor Junior Member

IMG_0405.jpg

Had first range session on Saturday. The first two mags I tried 124 gr Freedom Munitions FMJ and had numerous failures. I switched out to S&B 115 gr. FMJ and the next seven mags ran without issue. Tried the Freedom Munitions again and still had some problems feeding. Maybe she doesn't like that brand. Love the feel of the gun and shoot it pretty well when I concentrate on what I'm doing. Duh!!! I will get her out again as soon as I can and try to run enough rounds to get her broken in. I will then start trying some HP loads to see how they perform. I also will get you some target pictures to show you my expertise or lack thereof. We'll see.

Attached Files:

2. EARL99208

EARL99208 New Member

That's awesome.....that is to bad that the Freedom Munitions didn't load well.
    I hope everything works out as you break it in and you will be able to use that bulk Freedom ammo.
    Looking forward to future reports.

3. Biomanghs

Biomanghs New Member

wvsurveyor, I had a similar experience last weekend. I purchased a contour cut EMP 4 and went directly to the range. Mine shot Federal aluminum 115 gr (cheapest non steel ammo I know of) perfectly, along with some federal white box 115 gr and even a few Hornaday critical defense 135 + P. It would not run on PMC 115 however. It shot, cycled, ejected and fed fine but would not return completely to battery falling 1/4 inch short. I could reach up and push the slide with my thumb and it would lock in and fire. It did this on every round. I kept switching back and forth between ammo brands thinking that it would loosen up and run but no luck.

4. cremaley

cremaley New Member

So are you saying your EMP 4 ran perfectly on every ammo you shot except for PMC 115? If so the answer is simply, don't shoot PMC 115 ammo. My EMP 4 Contour has run perfectly on everything I have fed it so far including Hornaday 124 Critical Defense as well as other major brands. I have not tried PMC 115 and based on your experience I don't think I will. BTW my 9mm ammo of choice is 147 grain and not 115. Good luck with your EMP 4 Contour. I love mine.

5. Biomanghs

Biomanghs New Member

LOL! That was my first thought too! I plan to go back this weekend with a couple of other brands I have on hand (both 124 gr. ). I agree on preferring the heavier weight bullets but many times the 115 fmj is easier to find on the cheap. I guess I was hoping that it would eat up all brands and all weights. It seems lots of folks are reporting just that. I am hoping the fail to return to battery clears up completely or at the very least just be limited to that one brand.

6. wchancey

wchancey New Member

I picked my EMP 4 today , and I am blessed enough to have a nice range in my backyard so as soon as I got home I registered for my free stuff , and loaded up some mags of Freedom 135 gr it ran well , I had one failure to feed but I ran it back through without a problem.
    My first five shots were bullseye by then I was shaking like I had buck fever. I think I am in love.
    I did order a couple more mags from that special offer not sure why I ordered from there , I found them cheaper at a couple more places on the net.