Shoot ability differences between XDS & mod.2

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by appletown1, Nov 7, 2017.

1. appletown1

appletown1 New Member

Hello,

I am looking to purchase my 1st Springfield. I am looking at the XDS 9 4.0 & 3.3” and the mod.2 9mm 3.0”

What differences are there (if any) in how they shoot? Recoil? Trigger? Etc etc....

Thanks in advance!!

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't help you but I'm sure someone will. Welcome aboard though,you should hop on over to the Introductions Forum and introduce yourself properly. Oh by the way,we love pictures. :D

appletown1 likes this.

3. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Hello, appletown1. Welcome to the forum!

I have a 3.3 inch barrel XDs 9 mm, and a 5 inch barrel Mod 2 9 mm, and a 3.3 inch Mod 2 in 45 ACP--not exactly the guns you are considering, but close enough to hopefully be helpful.

Personally, I would not buy a 3 inch barrel Mod 2 because the niche it fills--easy concealed carry--is better filled by the 3.3 inch XDs. Thickness and grip length are the biggest factors when it comes to concealment, in my opinion. Any XDs beats any Mod 2 in both categories. Length is fairly unimportant, especially if the holster has adjustable cant. Unlike some similarly sized pistols, I find that my 3.3 inch XDs is very comfortable to shoot. 200 rounds shot as fast as the mags can be loaded does not cause me any hand discomfort. The XDs is a concealment gun that also makes a good range gun. That would be even more true of the 4 inch barrel, not because .7 inches gives more accuracy at normal pistol ranges but because, depending on one's vision, that little extra sight radius (space between back and front sights) can make sight picture acquisition both faster and better.

I have never shot a 4 inch XDs but it probably has slightly less recoil than the 3.3 because of the added weight. Any Mod 2 will have a little less recoil than any same caliber XDs for the same reason, and recoil is slightly more manageable with a Mod 2 because the grip is both fatter and more ergonomic. Recoil ratings are subjective. I don't think my 3.3 inch Mod 2 45 ACP has bad recoil, but it is more than virtually any 9 mm. With all 3 of the guns I am discussing here, recoil is a non-issue for me, and I'm 50, 5 10, average build.

If your purpose is concealed carry, I'd go with any XDs, especially a 9 mm. The XDs in 45 ACP is a bit snappy. I do sometimes conceal my 3.3 inch Mod 2 45 ACP, but the XDs is easier to hide.

While a XDs is very shootable and fun to shoot, I'd buy a 4 or 5 inch barreled Mod 2, if your primary purpose is shooting at a range.

Regarding triggers, with no offense intended to anyone, in my opinion, if you've ever shot a S&W M&P or Shield, or any small Ruger pistol, then you will really appreciate the trigger on a Mod 2 or XDs.

In my opinion, both my of my Mod 2s and my XDs have very good triggers: very reasonable uptake (pre-travel), crisp break, reset in about a 1/4 inch. One of my Mod 2s has a PRP trigger upgrade, but a Mod 2 has the best "out of the box" trigger of any pistol I've ever bought, apart from 1911s.

I really love both of my Mod 2s and my XDs! Since getting my first Mod 2 a couple years ago, my Glock has been gathering a lot of dust.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  4. appletown1

appletown1 New Member

Thank you sir!! Very informative & helpful !!! Also thanks for the welcome!

5. unclebob

unclebob Member

Welcome from Northern Illinois.
    I won't be of much help, but for what it's worth I looked at both and bought a MOD-2 in 9mm 3 inch.
    For me an aggressive grip felt better to me.
    I would like to keep the same platform and I have a MOD-2 5 inch on my bucket list.
    Good luck with your choice.

ThreeTango and appletown1 like this.
  6. VETLAG

VETLAG New Member

Hi,
    I can only offer info on the XDs 4.0 I have this for concealed carry and absolutely love it. At the range it is surprisingly accurate. My preference would be the 4.0 over the 3.3, however I will say that holsters are more easily found for the 3.3, but with ebay and Amazon you'll find them :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    ThreeTango and appletown1 like this.
  7. jack

jack New Member

I myself own the 9mm 3in 4in mod2 like them very much

appletown1, RevV and ThreeTango like this.
  8. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Clarification: Please do not think I am was trashing the 3 inch bbl. XD Mod 2 9 mm!
    I would not trash ANYONE's gun. Plus, I am a huge fan of the XD platform in any size.
    In my statements above I was only trying to help a person do the rather hard thing of choosing one XD or XDs from the list of sizes and models in which he had interest.

We'd probably all like more than one, and choosing just one is hard. Any XD or XDs makes a nice addition to one's household or waistline.

appletown1 likes this.